Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Calling that Never Was

My cousin, Amy, posted the funniest thing about her latest and greatest calling as enrichment leader. She held this calling for a total of one enrichment night...in which she featured her skills of couponing. I'm still laughing. You must click over and read about her couponing adventures as Enrichment Leader.

Of course, it reminded me of the shortest lived calling I ever had.

So, then I preceded to leave the longest stinkin' comment ever...so long that it turned into a blog post..Sorry Amy! (I'm still thinking about going over there and deleting it...it's kind of like when a prayer at church turns into a talk...not good.)

And now for the rest of the story.

When Jay was just a toddler, I got called to be the primary pianist.

Before I go any further, it is important for you to understand that this is my dream calling. For one, you get to sit and listen to the kids sing...how tender is that?

Plus, you do not have to break a sweat..unlike the poor chorister. {I've been the chorister and its a freakin' aerobic workout week in and week out.}

Also, did you know that kids do not judge? How beautiful would that be? If you mess up it is okay by them...and half the time they are singing too loud to care what the pianist is playing.

Finally, you are hidden by the piano for two whole hours. There is a whole lot of diet coke you can be swiggin' during that time. I'm totally kidding. Mostly.

Anyway, on this fateful Sunday after church, I got called to be the primary pianist. I raved on and on to the 2nd counselor in the bishopric about the gloriousness of my new calling. I was thrilled! I couldn't believe my good fortune.

Sunday evening, the Bishop called me AND Jeff back to his office. I figured Jeff was getting a new calling, he had been the membership clerk for a while.

I found out quickly that yes, Jeff, was getting a new calling.

But, so was I!

The Bishop called us to be the new Nursery Leaders.

"But, Bishop," I said. "I just got called to be the primary pianist...and it's my dream come true."

"Yes, I know. But the couple we called to be the nursery leaders told us no...and we've decided we need you there instead," he said.

"So, you're reneging on my primary pianist calling? Do you know its my dream calling?" I asked.

{I don't think he liked the word "reneg" but he agreed that yes, he was reneging.}

Now this wasn't one of my finer moments..but I told the Bishop that before I said yes, he HAD to tell me the names of the couple who had the nerve to say no...so I could give them the stink-eye on Sunday I am pretty sure I did not admit to the stink eye part.

And he told me!

And I gave them the stink-eye for a whole month.

And I've never been called to be the primary pianist since.

{I'm pretty sure it's because of that stink eye.}

6 comments:

Beeswax said...

That really is a short calling. But at least you knew you weren't released for poor performance, right?

And remember when YOU were the prez and called me to be the chorister? I would come home immediately and nap, sometimes in my CHurch dress. I now realize that you must have thought I looked a little loose (Relief Society arms?), and needed some aerobics to firm me up. Jolene has done a WAY better job than I did, and in 4 inch heels, too!

Amy said...

Ok - you totally win in the shortest calling contest! I thought I had it in the bag, but you single-handedly won. I can't believe your bishop told you who said no! That month-long stink eye could have cost you the best calling in the church.

Aloicoius said...

Ha ha! I love that he told you. You are a hoot!

Jen said...

I cannot believe he told you who said No!!!! That is hilarious (and wrong!) And if memory serves me, that was in Spanish Fork (I think I had something to do with the dream calling part, and nothing to do with the nursery part!) so now you have to email me and tell me who said no AND who the counselor who told you was!!!!!
(Now there's a comment that went too long!)

Jolene said...

I love being the chorister - but it is true - it is a workout. You are so right on with the pianist being the dream calling. Whatever ward meets before us, their primary pianist pulls in a soft Relief Society chair to sit in. Now, that is smart - sitting pretty and hiding behind the piano.

One Sassy Mama said...

Kelly B--I always thought you had such firm arms.

Amy--yes, it was the stinkeye that did me in.

Jo--I hadn't thought about the padded seat idea...genius!

Jenny--It was Bishop M. AND the couple was our favorite former RSP and her husband...an older couple...