Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Sunday Funnies

For the past couple of weeks, my twins have been working on rough drafts for a
Paul Revere Essay contest.


Each 6th grader at their school is required to submit "Paul Revere's Memoirs" which will be entered into a contest. It counts as part of their grade in their respective Language Arts classes.

One of the requirements is the essay must be 600-1000 words.

Savvy finished writing her essay last week. She actually had to edit out some words because it exceeded the 1000 word limit.

Auz, on the other hand, could barely eek out the required 600.

When he was finished, I asked him if he wanted to try to come up with a bit more information.

He replied, "Mom, the more words I write--the higher chance I have in making spelling and grammar errors...which will give me a lower grade. The way I see it, the odds of me getting a good grade on my essay are higher if I write the LEAST amount of words possible."

His ambition amazes me.

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other."
Abraham Lincoln

No comments: