Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Carniverous Crock

Things are still crockin' around here. Sunday's Roast Beast was divine. Monday I crocked Sloppy Joes--and last night's Meatloaf was delish (Aussie was eating it like it was dessert--DH had to cut him off after his 3rd trip). You can see we've been a little heavy on the red meat--tonight I'm looking for something chickeny, I do believe. Here's my recipe from last night (I combined 3 different recipes from "Fix it and Forget It").

"Crockabelly Meatloaf"
(5 out of 5 Hansen's heart this recipe)

1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 pkg of crushed saltines
1/4 chopped onions
1/4 c chopped yellow peppers (it called for green --but I had yellow-and it was still yum!)
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 lbs ground beef (pretty sure I used 2 lbs)
6-9 medium potatoes
4-6 medium carrots, cut in chunks

1. Beat together eggs and milk.
2. Stir in crackers, onions, yellow peppers, salt and pepper. Add beef and mix well.
3.Shape into loaf that is about an inch smaller than the inside of your crock pot. Place loaf into crock.
5. Place carrots and potatoes around Meatloaf.
6. Cover. Cook on high 1 hour. Reduce heat to Low. Cook 7-8 hours longer (Okay- so I didn't actually get crockin' till 1 or 2 -- which didn't leave time for 9 hours of shenanigan cooking. I just threw it in and cooked it on high till about 6 pm. By six, my taters were ready and my loaf of meat was 180 degrees in the center--so I called it good.)
7. The recipe calls for 1/4 cup ketchup--to spread on top of your meatloaf at the beginning of cooking -- but that sounded kinda gross to me (besides, my kids enjoy slathering their own food with gobs and gobs of ketchup daintily applying their own ketchup afterwords).

Crockpot tip (from Fix it and Forget it): Don't peek. It takes 15-20 minutes for the cooker to regain lost steam and return to the right temperature.

3 comments:

~ej said...

omgosh, i am so making this....summer is the perfect time for the crock pot!!! :)

*clicked over from jolene's blog, HI*

Jolene said...

this sounds yummy. The chicken cacciatore was pretty good. I am loving all of the crock pot recipes. Is your family missing the cereal or are they loving the home cooked goodness every night?

Pam said...

I am not a huge meatloaf kind of lady but you made this sound so good I might just try it. Jon would really love me then.