On Friday night, after I dropped my kids off at swim team, I drove myself to the ER with pain in my stomach.
I figured it would be a quick check to make sure nothing was going to kill me and I'd be home before my kids realized it.
Upon further investigation, the doctors discovered I had stones. Gallstones to be exact. This necessitated the removal of my gallbladder.
El Jefe called the kids to let them know that mom was going to be having a little surgery. I told him to tell them gently so they wouldn't be nervous.
Now, for the past couple of days I had been complaining to my kids that my stomach hurt. So, it wasn't necessarily news to them that I would likely need a trip to the hospital.
But, still--we didn't want to shock them with a "Mom's going into surgery to have her gall bladder taken out--no big."
So, with the kids on speaker phone, El Jefe tried to cushion it by saying, "You know how your mom's tummy has been hurting?"
"Yes," they answered.
El Jefe continued, "Well, mom decided to come down to the hospital and have it checked out."
"YES," they said, a little more excitedly.
"And they did an ultrasound...and the doctor's found out that..."
"MOM'S PREGNANT!?!?" Jay and Savvy yelled!
"NO! You knuckleheads! She has to have surgery to get her gallbladder taken out," he answered.
"Ohhhh," they sighed, dejectedly.
They were not in the least bit worried, mind you--but discouraged that their mama wasn't in the hospital having a baby.
Sheesh!
I figured it would be a quick check to make sure nothing was going to kill me and I'd be home before my kids realized it.
Upon further investigation, the doctors discovered I had stones. Gallstones to be exact. This necessitated the removal of my gallbladder.
El Jefe called the kids to let them know that mom was going to be having a little surgery. I told him to tell them gently so they wouldn't be nervous.
Now, for the past couple of days I had been complaining to my kids that my stomach hurt. So, it wasn't necessarily news to them that I would likely need a trip to the hospital.
But, still--we didn't want to shock them with a "Mom's going into surgery to have her gall bladder taken out--no big."
So, with the kids on speaker phone, El Jefe tried to cushion it by saying, "You know how your mom's tummy has been hurting?"
"Yes," they answered.
El Jefe continued, "Well, mom decided to come down to the hospital and have it checked out."
"YES," they said, a little more excitedly.
"And they did an ultrasound...and the doctor's found out that..."
"MOM'S PREGNANT!?!?" Jay and Savvy yelled!
"NO! You knuckleheads! She has to have surgery to get her gallbladder taken out," he answered.
"Ohhhh," they sighed, dejectedly.
They were not in the least bit worried, mind you--but discouraged that their mama wasn't in the hospital having a baby.
Sheesh!
7 comments:
Oh, that's cute! I'm so glad you're feeling better!! When I found out you and Lisa had been hospitalized, I wondered who was next...my entire VT list has been spending time in hospitals lately..sheesh!! :)
Ohhh a baby would have been so nice instead of 3 gallstones! Hope your recovering!
I hope you are feeling better.
HOly cow Nic what in the world? Were you hurting at WC and didn't even say a thing? I hope you are feeling better now. If I were in Utah right now I would be over there slaving for you and getting you all the DC that you need in your recovery.
Oh and to get the kids baby hopes up like that...just for some stones...tragic :)
What in the? How can this be the first I am hearing of this? You'll do anything to get a few days off of work. I wish I was there in UT to help out.
You poor thing! I just heard about it. Hope you are feeling better. I will check on you soon and see what I can do for you!
Hey Nic, I vote for a new baby too! After all that you endured, you'd think the hospital would just give you one for all your trouble. After all the pain and suffering, let alone the expense. I say they owe you a baby.
Post a Comment