Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Sunday Funnies: Cowboy Up


My dad's 62nd surprise birthday party was yesterday. A good time was had by all. There was even a program.

Aussie, Dad & Jessika


My mom had asked all of the men in the family to read a selection of cowboy poetry. I tried to help find El Jefe a poem on the internet..but he told me he would take care of it himself.


El Jefe's Cowboy poem
{written by none other than El Jefe}

There once was a man on a horse.

He rode tall.

He rode fast.

His name was Lucky.

He rode the old West.

He rode with the best.

Never did he fall.

The man had a dog.

The sky opened up.

The rain fell.

The thunder roared.

Aliens attacked.

His dog was kidnapped.

This was not Lucky's day.

But he returned standing tall.

Riding through the West.

Riding tall, riding proud.

After the program, I overheard my dad complimenting El Jefe on his poetry skills. One of my brothers mentioned they really liked the alien twist at the end.

El Jefe proudly said, "I figured if Indiana Jones could have an alien...then so could my cowboy poem."


(P.S. T minus two days till the magnet board contest ends...the drawing will be Tuesday at 5 pm. If you wanna double your chances of winning and get an extra entry...comment on this post with your best original cowboy poetry)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no cowboy poetry, original or otherwise, but I do have a poem that I have been giving at my parent's annual Thanksgiving poetry fest since about the 2nd grade.

"Snails" by John Drinkwater

I have a snail upon the wall,
my snail upon the wall is small.
I think I'll name my small snail Paul.

I know, it's fate that I married a Paul- it makes the poem all the nearer and dearer to me!

Aloicoius said...

That poem had El Hefe written all over it.

Mary said...

Jeff's poem was great! - no Cowboy poetry here.

P.S. I thought your Sunday Funnies might include something from your very eventful day! - Congrats or Condolences - you will be fabulous!

Jolene said...

i am going to e-mail you my poem - I started to type it here and then was afraid you might get embarrassed.