Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Sunday Funnies

Aussie is a pretty easy-going kid. He really just goes with the flow (unless someone tries to mess with his video games - then it's no holds barred). For the cubscout Blue and Gold Banquet we had to do a mother/son cake. There was really no theme--just whatever you wanted. (This was such a cute idea - but I wish we would've gotten more notice--we found out late Monday night--and the blue and gold was Wednesday).

So Tuesday, while Aussie was at school, I started to rack my brain for an easy yet fun idea. I thought a fishbowl cake with swedish fish would do the trick. After school, I presented the idea to Aussie - and he was fine with it. Wednesday morning, I started to worry that it was too babyish for a big 9 year old. I discussed (at length) with Jilly - what she thought. She agreed that it might not be the perfect idea - but do to time restraints, what other choice did I have?

It was truly the witching hour (3 pm on the day of the Blue and Gold which started at 6), when I found a glorious space cake. It didn't look to hard to do - and all I had to buy was m&m's. Piece of cake (hehe). But, I worried that Aussie would be attached to the fish cake - or not like the space cake. It was causing me much stress.

Aussie got home from school - and I showed him a picture of the space cake. I asked him if it would be alright if we opted for this one instead. After going the entire day with a knot in my stomach about this very important scout cake--he says, "Yah - I like it. So, what did the other cake look like?" Of all my kids, I should've known that Aussie would be fine with whatever.

At Christmas time, Jay and I were headed to the Mall for some shopping. I am not a frequent mall shopper. I am too cheap - and too lazy to drive all the way to the mall (which really is only like a 10 minute drive). But with Kohls and Ross a heartbeat away in my cute little town - I figure what's the point of venturing into the big city? I began to realize the error of my ways, when we passed through the parking lot of "Macy's" department store. Jay says, "Mom, I've always thought it was funny that they put a grocery store in the mall." Boy, did I have some splainin' to do. I guess a little exposure to mall shopping may be important for my Jay's social wellbeing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Josh had the rocket cake for his b-day! It's so cute, and not too hard- love it! The mall thing is funny Lucy! But I agree, Kohl's does have about everything you need. What does a fish bowl cake look like? Was there a prize for the best cake at the B&G dinner?