Thursday, February 7, 2008

Moby Dick

This morning as we were getting ready for school and Savvy said, "Mom, there are kids at school who think that 'Moby Dick' is a bad word".

"Do they know it's a book about a whale?" I asked (fearing the answer).

"Yes, I told them. But they still say it's a bad word," she said.

Then Aussie pipes in, "Yah mom, and at scouts last night we asked Adam if he thought it was a book or a bad word - and he said a bad word - so it must be true." (Great - they are spreading it through the ward.)

We seriously had T-3 minutes before we had to leave for carpool - not really time to go into a sensitive discussion about "Moby Dick". So I took the easy way out - "We've got to get ready for school - we'll talk about it later." I won't win a mother of the year award for that one - but at least I bought myself some time.

My sister Jilly, had a similar post on her blog. What is it with kids these days? They are truly growing older and older by the minute. Quite honestly, I don't think I heard the "Moby Dick" joke until I was in high school. Are you kidding me? Do I really want to teach my 9 year olds naughty slang? What should I do? What would you say to your child? Curses to the potty mouths of the world!

No comments: