As a responsible parent, there are certain expectations you should live up to when interacting with your children.
Not making jokes during scripture reading would be one of those expectations.
Last night, as we read the scriptures, I failed that particular parental responsibility test. But, don't worry...I was punished beyond measure.
Savvy was in the midst of reading Alma 62:14--which says, "And it came to pass that Moroni and Pahoran, leaving a large body of men in the land of Zarahemla, took their march with a large body of men towards the land of Nephihah, being determined to overthrow the Lamanites in that city."
Right after she read the word Nephihah--I sang, "Hah!" It was out before I could stop myself. It was also out much louder than I intended.
I did not realize my kids would start laughing so hard that the reading would stop for a minute or two.
I did not realize that when I tried to pass the buck to my eldest daughter by saying, "Sheesh! Jay! Be respectful during scripture reading!" That nobody would believe it was Jay that did it--and everyone would say, "It was MOM!"
I did not realize that for the rest of the chapter every time Nephihah was read all three of the chillin's would sing a very loud "HAH!"
To illustrate my crime and punishment:
Verse 18 read, "And it came to pass that when they had sent them away they pursued their march towards the land of Nephihah."
Children in Unison, "HAH!"
Verse 18 continued, "And it came to pass that when they had come to the city of Nephihah..."
Children in Unison, "HAH!"
El Jefe looked at me and said, "Nice one."
Verse 18 continued, "...they did pitch their tents in the plains of Nephihah..."
Children in Unison, "HAH!"
Verse 18 continued, "...which is near the city of Nephihah."
Children in Unison, "HAH!"
But, the most important thing I did not realize?
That there were 52 verses of scripture in this chapter.
Let's just say there was a plenty of Nephihahahing to be had.
So, what irresponsible things have you been teaching your kids lately?
{Perfect parents need not reply.}
Not making jokes during scripture reading would be one of those expectations.
Last night, as we read the scriptures, I failed that particular parental responsibility test. But, don't worry...I was punished beyond measure.
Savvy was in the midst of reading Alma 62:14--which says, "And it came to pass that Moroni and Pahoran, leaving a large body of men in the land of Zarahemla, took their march with a large body of men towards the land of Nephihah, being determined to overthrow the Lamanites in that city."
Right after she read the word Nephihah--I sang, "Hah!" It was out before I could stop myself. It was also out much louder than I intended.
I did not realize my kids would start laughing so hard that the reading would stop for a minute or two.
I did not realize that when I tried to pass the buck to my eldest daughter by saying, "Sheesh! Jay! Be respectful during scripture reading!" That nobody would believe it was Jay that did it--and everyone would say, "It was MOM!"
I did not realize that for the rest of the chapter every time Nephihah was read all three of the chillin's would sing a very loud "HAH!"
To illustrate my crime and punishment:
Verse 18 read, "And it came to pass that when they had sent them away they pursued their march towards the land of Nephihah."
Children in Unison, "HAH!"
Verse 18 continued, "And it came to pass that when they had come to the city of Nephihah..."
Children in Unison, "HAH!"
El Jefe looked at me and said, "Nice one."
Verse 18 continued, "...they did pitch their tents in the plains of Nephihah..."
Children in Unison, "HAH!"
Verse 18 continued, "...which is near the city of Nephihah."
Children in Unison, "HAH!"
But, the most important thing I did not realize?
That there were 52 verses of scripture in this chapter.
Let's just say there was a plenty of Nephihahahing to be had.
So, what irresponsible things have you been teaching your kids lately?
{Perfect parents need not reply.}
2 comments:
That is so funny! They will just remember what a fun mom you are!
Just think - you've probably never had kids following along so closely! I might do that on purpose just to get kids to follow along!
Post a Comment