Lately, I have been bombarded by so many meetings that I'm starting to get a little overwhelmed by it. I've decided meetings are overrated. Actually - I shouldn't say overrated - because I would guess that most people rate meetings pretty low on their list of fun things to do. But seriously, why do we think we need to meet for every little thing?
I know the nature of the church is to meet and plan with a purpose. But - sometimes all of this meeting and planning gets a little ridiculous. Take this past week for example - I had my RS presidency meeting Tuesday morning - it went a couple of hours. Tuesday night I had a meeting with the Bishopric, EQP, HP, and RSP about home teaching and visiting teaching. (It was 1 hour and 45 minutes of home teaching and 15 visiting teaching - a waste of time for the RS to be sure). Wednesday night I had a 2 hour enrichment meeting (although that one was my doing - we need to get our crafties planned and quick!) And starting next week I have to start attending monthly missionary meetings to represent the RS. All of these meetings - and I'm not even the president (she has to add a weekly Sunday morning meeting onto all of it). Give me strength!
I understand that meetings are a necessary evil. I've been in presidencies where we didn't meet enough - and the organization suffered for it. But, I do think whoever is calling for the meeting needs to invite only those who are absolutely needed -- and then keep it short and to the point (this coming from a girl who loves to chat-- heehee). This makes sense to me. Why have a whole presidency attend a meeting - when you can have one represent all.
This is probably naughty - but I truly believe if more people conducted their meetings through email - we'd be a lot better off. I do this with enrichment and RS a lot. Maybe I'm being totally impersonal about it - but email is a great way to keep tabs on everyone - get feedback from your committee - and make assignments - without having to call or meet.
So what's the answer to the whole meeting problem? I bet we could figure out the solution if someone would just call for a meeting.
1 comment:
AMEN sister! Just don't forget to tack on the quarterly stake training meeting. And then all of the driving to take the kids to their YW, Scout and Activity Day meetings etc... I'm sure you've heard the 14th Article of Faith: We believe in meetings, all that have been scheduled, all that are now scheduled, and we believe that there will yet be many great and important meetings scheduled. We have endured many meetings and hope to be able to endure all meetings. Indeed, we may say that if there is a meeting or anything that resembles a meeting or anything that we may possibly turn into a meeting, we seek after these things.
Post a Comment