Monday, September 3, 2007

The Book Thief...

For book club this month, we are reading "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak. When I checked it out at the library - I sighed - because this is one long book. It's almost 600 pages long - and for a girl who enjoys procrastinating the reading of books she may or may not enjoy (i.e. book club books) - I knew I was in trouble. This would not be a book I could cram into an evening or two.

So, I put it on my to-do list - and started it over a week ago. 10 pages here, 10 pages there - I was struggling. For one - it's narrated by death, literally - (there actually have been a couple of our book club books where I felt like saying - this book is soo boring it's like its being narrated by death). My other struggle was it is based in Nazi Germany - not one of my favorite subjects (you know I'm shallow right?)

Just as I was about to inquire about cliff notes (and truly I hadn't really given the book a fighting chance as I was only on about page 50), one of my friends told me it really started to pick up by about page 100. So I continued to plod along. And to my surprise -- by about page 80 I started to get into it. As a matter of fact, I couldn't put it down -- and literally read it in two days -- not counting the first 50 pages of course (memo to self: you can read a 600 page book club book in two days)

By then end of the book, I was pleasantly surprised. What a truly well-written and interesting book. I am better for reading it. While it is sad subject matter, the author sprinkles bits of wisdom and humor--to the point that even "death" was cracking me up (okay, so add to shallow a morbid sense of humor). But seriously, "death's" words are poetic at times. I enjoyed "him".

As a shallow and fluffy reader - here's a book that made me feel a little less shallow and (almost) deep.

3 comments:

Jolene said...

I just put it on my library request list - it must be popular -I am number 13. It sounds interesting. I haven't been reading much - I have been so sick. But I have been listening to Twilight and New Moon in the car - I have loved re-visiting those books. I also gave in and let Courtney start reading New Moon (she read Twilight while on vacation with the Waites). I think I'm a bad mom.

One Sassy Mama said...

Dang it all Jolene! It was so easy to say no to Jordyn because you were the strong one saying no to Cornie. I am weak. I let her read Twlight without the batting of an eye. I am starting to sway for the New Moon - but Eclipse was just too sexy - so I'm struggling with letting her read that one. I figure if she reads New Moon - then of course I'll have to let her read Eclipse (which I just bought at Costco today for $10.39 - it has been sold out up until now). Anyhoo - what am I to do.

Jolene said...

I'm sorry to be the weak one. There were actual tears on her part in the whole discussion. I really got to thinking about the kind of books I read when I was her age. I guess I would rather her read books that I have already read - and I know what is in them - so we can talk about it. But I know I have put myself in a position to have to make the same decision over again when she wants to read Eclipse. The good thing is - Eclipse is not yet an AR book at her school so she can't read it at school - and that is when she does most of her reading so I am hoping she won't even care. But I truly am sorry for letting you down on that one!