First I was Right
Last night, Savvy discovered that she had forgotten her vocabulary homework. She had already defined the words, but still needed to write sentences for them.
I told her she could just finish it in the morning, since we get there 25 minutes before school starts every day. She was still very distressed about it.
Then I suggested she just try to remember the vocabulary words and do the sentences on a regular piece of paper.
"But, Mom! I can't remember the definitions! There is no way I can write sentences without the definitions."
"Savvy, I can help you with the definitions," I answered.
"No way! Mom! Some of these words are really hard--you couldn't possibly know the definitions!" she replied.
"Like what?" I asked.
"Malnutrition," she answered.
I told her the definition. She still refused to proceed..on the grounds that I may be wrong.
{Now I'll admit my track record with math isn't so great...but ever since I started helping her with her sentences we...I mean...she gets comments like "Very Creative!" "Fabulous!" So, where's the love?}
And then I was Wrong
Today, during lunch recess, I was grading papers with a few other 4th grade teachers. Savvy came into the classroom with the question, "Mom do we have a protractor? I need it for my math homework. If we don't have one then I have to do my math during recess."
"I'm pretty sure we do," I answered.
"Then where is it...I have to have it," she said.
"I think we have a hot pink one in the junk drawer in the kitchen," I said.
"Uh. Mom. That's a compass," she said, obviously embarrassed for me.
{Okay--so I must admit--I had to google the difference between a protractor and compass...and look what I found! Check out this link...who knew compasses could be so dangerous..sheesh!}
Last night, Savvy discovered that she had forgotten her vocabulary homework. She had already defined the words, but still needed to write sentences for them.
I told her she could just finish it in the morning, since we get there 25 minutes before school starts every day. She was still very distressed about it.
Then I suggested she just try to remember the vocabulary words and do the sentences on a regular piece of paper.
"But, Mom! I can't remember the definitions! There is no way I can write sentences without the definitions."
"Savvy, I can help you with the definitions," I answered.
"No way! Mom! Some of these words are really hard--you couldn't possibly know the definitions!" she replied.
"Like what?" I asked.
"Malnutrition," she answered.
I told her the definition. She still refused to proceed..on the grounds that I may be wrong.
{Now I'll admit my track record with math isn't so great...but ever since I started helping her with her sentences
And then I was Wrong
Today, during lunch recess, I was grading papers with a few other 4th grade teachers. Savvy came into the classroom with the question, "Mom do we have a protractor? I need it for my math homework. If we don't have one then I have to do my math during recess."
"I'm pretty sure we do," I answered.
"Then where is it...I have to have it," she said.
"I think we have a hot pink one in the junk drawer in the kitchen," I said.
"Uh. Mom. That's a compass," she said, obviously embarrassed for me.
{Okay--so I must admit--I had to google the difference between a protractor and compass...and look what I found! Check out this link...who knew compasses could be so dangerous..sheesh!}
4 comments:
Okay, now I am really panicked that I don't know the difference either! Is the protractor the one where you clip the pencil in the metal thingie and there is a pointed end? I was quite concerned by this comment on the article you found.....Naples High student accused of attacking another student at mall ...
"Sep 15, 2008 ... no one but me finds it unbelievable that a 14 yr old doesnt know the difference between a protractor and a compass? ..." oh crap. oh crap. (but at least I KNOW that the commenter should have put an apostrophe in "doesn't - SO THERE!) I seriously don't think I know the difference and when I googled it this is all I came up with! Surely I will not pass my final test tomorrow and will be unemployed. And yes, I should be studying and not blogging.
Nat-To the best of my well-studied knowledge--a protractor is the kindly half moon without stabbing parts. AND the compass is the thing with stabbing parts that you can stick a pencil into and draw a perfect circle. I am glad to know that I am not the only clueless geometric girl in the neighborhood..hehe.
Good luck on your test tomorrow!
That article just proves that math is not for me!
Once I use to think I was good at math but not anymore. Last night as I was helping Daws with 3rd grade math Shelby had to correct me because I was doing the math wrong - so embarrassing! and yes, sadly I have to admit I was not to sure about the difference between a compass and a protractor - so I don't think your alone.
Post a Comment