Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Queer Little Christmas Carol

Sunday night our ward choir participated in our annual Stake Choir Festival...a sort of
"Battle of the Bands" evening.

Our choir is suffering greatly in numbers this year due to a recent ward split. But, I thought our song sounded pretty decent. So, I wasn't too worried about it. okay, so I was a bit worried since there would only be 8 of us singing and six of us hadn't even seen the song till that morning..but duty prevailed

Then our substitute choir director announced from the pulpit, into the microphone, to the entire congregation...

...with the stake president and many bishops in attendance...

...and let's not forget the little children...

...that our ward would be singing...

"It Came Upon a Midnight Queer...I mean Clear," he most truly said, blushing appropriately afterwards of course.

The congregation chuckled. The gal standing next to me started to giggle. I felt a laugh coming on so strongly that I feared I wouldn't be able to contain myself. I took a couple of deep breaths and then avoided looking at my friend because she giggled on and off throughout the song.

By the time we finished our queer little rendition of a Christmas favorite, I was ready to burst.

When I reached my seat, a man {who I did not know} sitting next to me said, "You guys did pretty good, considering the introduction." He went on to say, "I don't know how any of you kept a straight face."

One of my friends told me that she had never heard such a beautiful Christmas song dedication to
Proposition 8.


We are singing "Midnight Clear" again THIS Sunday during sacrament meeting for our ward Christmas program...let's just hope he gets the title straight this time pun intended.

8 comments:

Aloicoius said...

This is one of your best posts to date! I LOVE IT!

Jolene said...

I would not have been able to keep a straight face - everytime I said "glorious" or "harps of gold" I would have giggled.

Mary said...

That is pretty funny - I am sad I missed it.

Amy said...

Love the pun of getting it straight this Sunday!

Beeswax said...

hehe! That stuff is what keeps us awake in Church! I remember the time when someone in the bishopric called Pamela Anderson to work in the Relief Society (or something), then turned all kinds of red and corrected it to Pamela Larson.

Or more recently when someone (who shall also remain nameless, but email me if you must know), bore his testimony that he knew Mitt Romney was a true prophet. And sat down. And then the Bishop whispered to him. And then he got back up and corrected it.

Jolene said...

Kelly B - I am proud to say that I remember both of those incidents. The week that the Bishopric member called Pamela Anderson to that calling - he also split his pants while on the stand. Ahh.. Good times.

Remind me to tell you a funny story about a testimony meeting when someone meant to say Sternum and said scrotum instead.

Is this too racy for your blog Nic?

One Sassy Mama said...

My goodness..I go run a few errands and my PG-rated blog is now an R! hehe.

KellyB--I also remember the Pamela Anderson moment..classic. You have to share who the testimony bearer of Mitt is..I must know!

Pam said...

Oh my gosh I am finally getting around to reading posts and this one is too funny not to comment on. Although they all are very funny sadly I don't have the time to write about each one. I am having a hard time believing that you weren't laughing through the whole song. I can't bear it for that choir director man. I am also curious about the Mitt Romney person. How embarrassing x2.