Today I introduced some new vocabulary words to my 4th grade language arts class.
One of the words was "Hamlet". I told them that it was a noun--and gave them the definition: hamlet [ˈhæmlɪt]
"Mrs. H? Aren't there two definitions for hamlet?" one of my students asked.
"No, just one." I said.
"But, Mrs. H--don't you want us to write down that it's also a type of food?" he persisted.
{A type of food? I thought,
"What in the world?"}
The girl behind him piped in and said, "JJ--that's an omelet not a hamlet."
One of the words was "Hamlet". I told them that it was a noun--and gave them the definition: hamlet [ˈhæmlɪt]
1. a small village or group of houses
"Mrs. H? Aren't there two definitions for hamlet?" one of my students asked.
"No, just one." I said.
"But, Mrs. H--don't you want us to write down that it's also a type of food?" he persisted.
{A type of food? I thought,
"What in the world?"}
The girl behind him piped in and said, "JJ--that's an omelet not a hamlet."
2 comments:
Hehe--I am quite wicked.
When you come back, you come back strong!
I don't remember asking the primary children for an F word. See, I've blocked it all.PTSD.
And what about the Prince of Denmark? Is rumored he liked eggs, as well.
Post a Comment