This is my 13th year of marriage and I have confession to make -- I am a little superstitious. Not the whole - avoid black cats and walking under ladders things - although I must admit I. do. not. like. cats. period. And I can't think of a time where I've actually walked under a ladder - so maybe I'm a little more superstitious than I thought. But, truthfully, I really am only superstitious about a few things - May 17, a purple flowered shirt, - and my 13th year of marriage.
As our 13th anniversary in March approached - I joked with my husband - that if we could survive this 13th year of marriage we could make it through eternity just fine. Two days later, we were doing a service project and cleaning our church. Aussie (8), got his finger slammed in a big heavy wood door and had to be taken to the emergency room - where we spent 6 hours. He had a broken finger and had to have his nail removed so they could do stitches. Very painful. Very ugly. Very 13th year.
One week later, DH was backing out of the garage and knocked his passenger side mirror off (luckily the glass didn't break - or this one year of bad luck could've added on another 7). I took one look at the mirror he held in his hand and said, "13th year". (He does not agree nor support my superstition - as a matter of fact he thinks you should never blame stupidity on luck - I say look at all my supporting evidence and then decide).
The month of April Aussie had a rash for the entire month - he missed tons of school. I thought it was 5th's disease - but the pediatrician didn't think so. So he was treated with steroids, antibiotics and expensive prescription allergy medicine = nothing got rid of it. After 3 weeks of numerous trips to the pediatrician and pharmacy (and lots of co-pays), I finally took Aussie to the dermatologist. He took one look at the rash and said - that's 5th disease - not contagious at this stage, not treatable - and he can go to school just fine. I thought two things - #1 webmd.com is a heckuva lot cheaper than copays and needless prescriptions and #2 "13th year."
In May, I was asked to help out with a craft night for my church. I was in charge of cutting out 2x4 blocks which could say either Family or Summer. I had to cut and sand 120 blocks. On block #119 my power sander slipped a gear and broke (yes-I had to hand sand that last blasted block). It's not a super-expensive machine - but it's not one that I will replace unless I start crafting on a more regular basis. I'm hoping it can be fixed - but you know all I keep thinking is "13th year."
In June, it really started to get kind of spooky. Of course, if you've read my blog you have heard about "Flood 2007". Naturally, on the night of the flood, only one thought came to my mind and that was "The 13th year". (which by the way - renovation flood update - all we have left to fix the flood is to get the carpets cleaned - we are hoping this happens soon - but the jokers have yet to call us - and we've been awaiting their call for 1 1/2 weeks - just chalk it up to the 13th year).
Fast forward to Thursday, July 26. We had enrichment night that evening, and it was a backyard event at our Bishop's home. That morning, at 9 am we met at the church to load up tables and chairs and haul them to the Bishop's backyard. On my way home from setting up, I drove past the church and tried to accelerate past 30 mph. The van revved like I was in neutral. I drove up another street to see if it was a fluke. Nope - still revved. I had to stop at a stop sign - and when I pushed on the gas to go - you guessed it - it revved again. I had to turn my van off and back on again to get it to click in gear. Automatically "13th year" popped into my head and I assumed the worst - the transmission was going out.
I talked to my bro-in-law, husband and dad - who all agreed it sounded like the transmission was going bad. Guess who else agreed? The Aamco mechanic - to the tune of $2,400. Gulp. Since my van is 9 years old - it was truly bound to happen. But couldn't it have waited until my 14th year or 15th year of marriage. All I can say, is this 13th year is getting might expensive - and we still have 8 months left! (Ironically, guess who is hopping on the 13th year bandwagon - none other than my DH. When I told him of the problems with the van - he said - "Nic you may be right about this 13th year).
1 comment:
You need Bishop Bob!! I feel your pain - my suburban did the revving thing to me in January. I was on the freeway and I had to get towed - it was bad news bears. But it didn't cost as much to fix as your purple pleasure is costing.
Reading this post made me reflect back on our 13th year. I think it was a luck one for us - I can't remember one thing about it. I remember that we were joking about going to Las Vegas for our anniversary - but we went to Washington DC instead. Wait a minute - it is all coming back to me, ruined vacation, dad dies, broken leg, cancelled vacation - maybe it was so bad that I blocked it out.
Post a Comment