Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A Rose by Any Other Name...

I am terrible at remembering names. Someone can get introduced to me - and a few minutes later I've completely forgotten their name. It's awkward I will admit. Especially when you've met the person 7 times and you still have to pretend you know their name (and of course later eavesdrop to try and hear who they are).

Lately, this has been carrying over to family members. Not that I'm forgetting their names - but just using the wrong name for them. My sister has become my daughter and my daughter my sister, & my son is my nephew - now there's a Dr. Phil episode gone awry.

My latest and greatest name faux pas has actually happened twice in the last week. I have started to call my husband "Bud"(this is usually a term I reserve for my son). The first time it happened was last week on the first day of school. We were all running around like lunatics. I was trying to pack lunches, find paperwork, gather up last minute things -- and get out the door.
My DH was also trying to get out the door and couldn't find his wallet (another story for another day). He was asking everyone if they had seen his wallet. As we were walking out the door, I said, "Did you find it Bud?" He laughed and said, "Did you just call me bud?" I think I blushed (I don't know why I found it so embarrassing - because embarrassing moments with me are a dime a dozen - and there are many that are much worse). I told him I didn't mean to - I claimed I was saying Hun and it just came out wrong. But he didn't believe me.

Then it happened again. Last night, I was trying to get to enrichment night and he was trying to get the kids loaded into the van to go to the ballgame. I needed my purse out of the van. As I hurried past him, DH handed it to me, and I said, "Thanks Bud." He laughed again. I blushed again (what's with the blushing anyway - it's not like I'm being salacious).

He probably thinks I'm doing it on purpose. Which of course I'm not. So, why the sudden weird nickname? I've decided it's due to brain overload. This happens to me every so often when my life is so full of events, sagas and adventures - that things start to spill out of my mouth faster than I can control them. Usually the problem involves me overextending myself and volunteering for everything imaginable. But, apparently it has now transferred over to name calling.

I'm not sure how to solve this silly problem. Do I let the Bud run its course? Should I tell the Bud I mean to do it? What if the Bud starts to suspect there is another Bud in my life - which would then explain the sudden switch to the wrong name? I guess, if worse comes to worse, I'll have to start referring to him as Bud in my blog (rather than DH) - then I can tell him it's just a fancy code name for good-lookin'.

2 comments:

Jolene said...

What is this? Two posts in one week! You made me laugh out loud! This is another good reason not to get a dog, however. It's much more embarassing when you call your DH the dog's name!

One Sassy Mama said...

Talk about being in the dog house - haha - you are funny.
I am the master of starting a post and then not finishing it - and then starting another post - and then remembering I need to finish my other post (you know how half-asked I am). So that's my explanation of my 2 posts in a week - I had started the kidspeak one the other day - with those 2 cute stories - I had hoped funny stories from the other two hooligans would come to mind - but they didn't. Hence the delay of posting it. Then I gave up - like I said - my brain is on overload right now - I can't be expected to pull things out of the deep recesses of it.