Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Quiet Rivers Run Deep...

On Tuesdays, our temples first session begins at 5 am. This morning was my RS temple run - at 440 am (I had to get up by 4 to be ready). We try to get there for that so we can be home in time to get kids ready for school, etc. We are entering our fourth month of doing this early bird thing - and you'd think it would get easier.

Actually, the waking up and getting there isn't that difficult - mostly because I'm on auto-pilot. It's the after-effects of the early rising that really throws me for a loop. Picture blond moment after blond moment linked precariously together.

Case in point: Upon returning home from our temple trip - I noticed the scouts had put out flags throughout our neighborhood. I was curious as to why - and finally decided they must've put them out because it was the primary elections today. We have a guy running for city council in our ward and I wondered if he had put them up to it. Unfortunately, I opened up my mouth and said, "I wonder if Troy bribed the scouts to put the flags out to remind us to vote for him?" Both of the girls I was with starting laughing and reminded me - it's 9/11 - and then continued to laugh.

Case #2: We had lunch bunch today. One of the ladies was telling me how well-spoken my DH was at a neighborhood meeting they had last night. She mentioned that she had never heard him speak more than 5 words before this evening and she was impressed by his knowledge. I thanked her for the compliment. She went on to say, "I guess quiet rivers run deep." "What?" I asked. She repeated her river statement. With a blank look still on my face - she said it again, "You know, quiet rivers run deep." Finally she very frustratedly explained - "Your husband is the quiet river." I said - "Ohhh and he runs deep?" I think she walked away at that point.

Here's the deal: I'm Blond. But on normal days, I am usually awake enough to at least not speak out my blond moments. The trouble is when I am this tired - there is no telling what I may say. Luckily, this tiredness comes only once a month and it is worth it (although maybe I should sequester myself on such days).

I guess it's safe to say that no one will ever mistake me for a quiet river.

3 comments:

Jolene said...

I am seriously laughing out loud. How did your DH feel about that compliment? You need to tell your friend to just wait until this "quiet but deep" man calls her from your cell phone telling her to get her butt out their and get your phone.

jmemmott said...

Huh? Jolene? I guess I haven't heard that one yet!
Nic, I too am LOL. That's funny. I always laugh cause I've already heard all your stories that you write on the blog. But, I missed this one and it's a good one. By the way to add to Jolene's "quiet but deep" man that called his sis-in-laws dress a really cute robe and then couldn't dig himself out of it!:)

One Sassy Mama said...

Jilly - How could we forget about the bathrobe/dress incident? I hope I remember this right.
Jo = one day when Jill was staying with me she wore this really cute wrap dress. She had it on all day. Later that day, J said, "Aunt Jill you've been wearing that dress all day." She acted like this was a bad thing.
When DH got home from work that evening, Jilly relayed the story of how J wasn't impressed with her wearing of the dress. DH said, "That's a dress? I thought you were wearing a really cute robe..."
Quiet Rivers may run deep - but they don't know fashion I guess.
hehe