Thursday, October 4, 2007

You Have Now Entered The Sonic Zone...

Since the invention of Happy Hour & 99 cent coupons, I have been a loyal customer at Sonic. When I lived in AZ the workers at Sonic knew my van, my order and whether or not I was still in my pajamas. Since Sonic was near my kids' school and I had to drive them every day, it was sometimes a twice a day visit.

When I moved to Utah, our new Sonic had Happy Hour in the morning from 6-11 am (they've sinced done away with that) and in the afternoon from 2-5. I'd have one on the way home from the gym everyday - and sometimes in the afternoon whilst I ran my errands. The turnover of employees at this Sonic is high - so I didn't get to know any of the workers as personally as I had in AZ - but I still had my favorites. The boy with the pierced chin really knew how to make a good Diet Coke with lime. The girl from Brazil had such a cute accent, was always quick, and sometimes gave me an extra lemon wedge.

My experiences and memories of Sonic have been good ones. I mean, what's not to like about a place that will give you your lifeline at half price? Now let's fast forward all those hopes and dreams to my last visit at Sonic. My sister and I had just had a long, tiresome day of shopping. We were thirsty, hungry and we had coupons. It was 1:50 - 10 minutes before Happy Hour - but we were so ready for a big drink, a shake, and a 99 cent onion ring - that we were willing to sacrifice our coupons.

We got in line at the drive thru where a man in a red truck was waiting to place his order. He gave the girl his order and the preceded to sit there and wait. We didn't know what to think - was this man not aware of the drive-thru pick-up window concept? We sat their until 1:59 - at which point my sister drove into one of the ordering stalls. We placed our order (and yay we got the happy hour deal).

We waited and waited and waited -- a couple of times employees with orders on their trays would come up and ask us if it was our order. We saw one girl going from car to car trying to figure out where her tray went. Pretty soon we saw the manager of Sonic - helping with the delivery of food - he didn't have skates on but boy could he run fast. Sonic was packed - there computers were apparently down - and angry caffeine deprived women were getting ready to charge the building. Oh - and the guy in the red truck was still sitting in the same spot. It was like we had entered the Twilight Zone.

Finally at about 215, we see the guy with our order coming our way. This kid had on roller skates and he was hauling so fast - that my sister and I looked at each other and said "man- he's fast". Just as we were looking back at him in our amazement of his skating skills - he biffs it. I mean he went down hard - tray and all. It was like slow motion - he went down and slid right into my sisters van (we checked for dents later). He jumped up as quickly as he could - and we asked him if he was okay. He was mortified - we were mortified - (and trying really hard not to laugh).

Somehow during the melee -- he had managed to hold the tray above his head - and so only the drinks were ruined (the shakes were a little messy too). He handed us our sack of greasy mozzarella sticks and onion rings and headed back in to fix our drinks. As he skated away - my sister noticed his brake mark from his skates on the ground. There was a black streak on the ground about 2 feet long. We started laughing so hard we couldn't stop - and of course we didn't him to see us laughing at him so we really tried to get it under control.

When he came back with our food, we very politely took it and didn't giggle once. He skated away and Jill took a spoonful of her chocolate malt and started to laugh. Apparently they hadn't made up new shakes for us - they just wiped the spilled ice cream off the side - so Jill's chocolate malt had reeses peanut butter blast in it. It was so retro! It reminded me of the old reeses peanut butter cup commercial - hey you got peanut butter in my chocolate!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qSd70jkrQg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGsWqGX6bvA

Oh - and to top it all off - the guy in the red truck had finally moved forward - and was STILL waiting for his order.

4 comments:

Jolene said...

I am glad to know that you are still a slave to Sonic!! Do you remember the first day that the Ellsworth Sonic opened and we got there even before it had actually opened (I think we skipped our walk and went there at 5:30 a.m.)and ordered our drinks? I'm pretty sure that we were the first ones EVER! Well, Alejandro is still there - and still gets me going a couple of mornings a week - at full price I might add. When you first moved to UT and your Sonic had the morning happy hour - I thought that was the most magical thing in the world. It is a pretty sad commentary on my life that the same woman (Jackie) at Sonic knows that I like two salsas with my bacon breakfast burrito and that I like green chiles on my burger. She told me the other day that when she sees a black suburban in the drive through she looks for the big sunglasses to see if it is me. I'm not sure how to take that. Do I go to Sonic too often... Are my sunglasses too big?

One Sassy Mama said...

You are Gwen Stefani to me in your big fancy prada sunglasses.
Yes I loved Alejandro-although I thought we had named him Enrique. Does he still wink at you? You know he secretly wants to be the love of your life -- little does he know the only way he could do that is if he turned into a Route44 diet coke with lime.

Beeswax said...

If such a terrible sonic experience had to be had, it was probably good it happened to you. You will likely be a return customer, in spite of it all. I've been taking my kids to wacky wednesdays a lot! $1.50 kids meals are cheap cheap cheap. cheese sandwich, tots and grape slush. Oh. And I share Tommy's.

One Sassy Mama said...

Do they do wacky wednesdays in UT? That is a good deal!