Wednesday, September 10, 2008

**I Smell the Smell of a Smelly Smell of a Smell that's Smelly

Confession Time:
I'm a morbid mother.

On the way to swim team, there is a certain block of road we travel--that has an awful smell. A smell of epic proportions.

To add to the strange-smell-factor, this smell only exists in the Fall.

Last year, when we first smelled the smell--my kids would cover their noses and hold their breath for the entire stretch of the offensive block. Then, they would moan and whine about taking a different,
less smelly route.

Something had to be done to take their minds of their smelly troubles. So, I did what any good mother would do I told them that someone must be hiding a dead body in one of the surrounding sheds.

Every once in a while, I would make up a story about who the dead body used to be, and who had committed the crime. These stories usually involved the characters we would pass on the way to swim team at one point I even blamed our high school track team.

Winter came, and the smell disappeared. I told the kids that someone must've disposed of the body--and the smelly smell was forgotten.

Until last week.

The smelly smell is back.

Last Tuesday, as soon as we caught the first whiff of smell, Aussie shouted, "There's been a murder! The dead body is back."

I've decided to set up a savings account for the therapy they will need when they become adults.

**Title: from a Spongebob t-shirt I once saw a guy wearing.

5 comments:

Jolene said...

I love a dead body mystery. You are a regular Nancy Drew to me. Your kids won't need therapy. They will just have vivid imaginations.

Mary said...

You must tell me where this curious smell/supposed crime scene is - I can not figure it out, but I agree your kids will have great imaginations and a good sense of humor

Beeswax said...

See, I think it is all fun and games until somebody gets scared and ends up sleeping in your room for 6 months (a la Jane and the Thriller video).

Then, it isn't fun and games.

Pam said...

Smelly murder saga continues? I'm sure this years stories of the mayhem will be a great blogging addition so don't leave us out of these tales of death and smell.

I hate that when there is a smell that you drive by and you can't get it out of your car and you try and hold your breath but you can't hold it that long so you breath through your mouth and then you can taste the smell...that is the worst.

Heather said...

I love reading your blog! You are SO funny girl!! We sure miss you around here. We have a wonderful dairy (you probably remember) around here that has a smelly smell on occasion. It is pretty bad. I am not sure what would be worse dead body smell or dead cow smell?? :)