Thursday, January 15, 2009

Like Mother, Like Daughter

I guess I'm officially back from my unplanned
blogging break.

What can I say? Life has been crazy.

I told a friend the other day that between my family, my job, and my new calling that I only had time for one extra hobby...that hobby could be:
a) cleaning my house b) reading c) crafting d) hanging out with sister/mom/friends e) shopping or f) blogging.

Obviously it hasn't been blogging for the past week..but it has been a nice mix of the above.

So, I'm back at it..with a delightful little story about a kind-hearted yet sassy mother, her sweet and sassy daughter and their BIG shenanigan of the day.

Today, Jay got home from school and reminded me that she needed to take gingersnaps to a cultural night TONIGHT at 7 pm.

I didn't happen to have molasses on hand (which I hear is an important ingredient for said snaps). So I headed to the store.

Whilst I looking for molasses..I discovered a joyous thing. Did you know they sell a Gingerbread/cookie/cake mix?

Due to the fact that this was for the masses and most of them were sweaty Jr. high kids...I decided to bury my Martha instincts and purchased three boxes of the ginger cake mix.

There was a small window of time that would allow us to bake the cookies, let them cool, and then frost them. So, I raced home and the mixing began.

Looking quickly at the directions, I said, "Jay, add two eggs to the mixture and I'll melt the butter."

She did as she was told.

I added the butter.

She added the flour.

Then she began the mixing.

"Mom, this is really dry, was there supposed to be water in it or something?" she asked.

"Oh, yeah. Add the water," I said.

She added. And mixed.

"Mom, is it supposed to be this liquidy?" she asked.

At that point, we realized she had added the water amount needed for the cake rather than the cookies. 2 1/2 cups instead of 1/2 cup.

Since we had only mixed up two of the mixes we decided to add the third cake mix to try and thicken things up.

{I am pretty sure I was living an "I Love Lucy" rerun}.

And of course, the extra cake mix didn't help.

So, while we tried to clean up HER mess, I told Jay the importance of paying attention to recipes--especially when we were in a hurry. And how we didn't have time for such shenanigans. And how this food needed to be edible or nobody would partake, etc, etc.


Then Jay discovered, that even though she had added too much water to the cookie recipe...her MOTHER had put in eggs and flour unnecessarily.

It turned out that both of us had been following the cake mix directions all along.

Jay said, "We are a couple of knuckleheads."

Swallowing my pride, I said, "Yes, my dear. We are."

{To add to the shenanigans, since we didn't have 40 minutes to wait for a cake to bake--we improvised and made 24 gingerbread muffins, 9 mini-loaves of gingerbread, and an 8 inch round gingerbread cake (still unbaked). Then we drizzled a glaze over the top and Jay called them ginger-cookie-cake-muffins. }

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is your new calling you knucklehead you?

gotta go girl said...

Wow. I'm impressed with your improv skills on those masterpieces. In the future, I usually have molasses on hand and could have saved you a heap o' trouble. Call anytime. My only rule for borrowing is that you cannot pay me back. Then I would be obligated to pay you back if I borrow and I would never remember that. So I have a no-pay-back rule for that reason. Now that you know the rules, you have gained entry to my pantry and food storage. Intriguing story Nicole. And Jordyn and Katie have become little bakers over here, however, they are using mixes as well but as far as I know it all turns out okay.

Heather said...

That is hilarious! I love reading about your shenanigans. That sounds like something I would do!

Pam said...

And after all those shenanigans I bet they turned out delicious. Ginger snaps are too hard anyway, cake is always better right? You two are funny knuckleheads at least. I love it.