Thursday, July 23, 2009

Stupid Pet Tricks

Pictures courtesy of my children. I think we have more stinkin' pictures of Elvis on my hard drive than any member of our family...except maybe Jordyn..she is kind of a camera hog.

You know I have a love-hate relationship with our cat, Elvis.

It all started when "Santa" surprised us on Christmas morning a couple of years ago...only Santa didn't realize I grew up in a family of cat haters.

With that being said, I hope you will read the following experience with the knowledge that I am not going to turn this into a cat-lady blog.

But, I just have to share.

The other day the kids were in the front yard weeding. It was a cool morning, so the windows were open. I could hear them yelling at each other to hurry up kindly talking to each other and bonding while they learned the value of work.

Apparently, Elvis could hear them too--because he kept going to the front door and meowing like crazy.

Now, Elvis is an indoor cat. I know this seems like a crime against nature..but so does me owning a cat...so whatev.

I was in the kitchen doing my best to tune out the arguing listen to the kind words being spoken amongst my children, when I heard the front door open.

No wars or rumors of wars followed the opening of the door--so I assumed it was one of the kids trying to pull the old 'sneak in and hide from work' trick.

I walked to the front door and noticed it was ajar. Not a child was in sight.

I also noticed the meowing had stopped.

I walked out onto the porch and said, "Elvis?"

He came skulking around the corner and ran in the house.

At first I thought one of the kids were playing a trick on me, but nope, they were still arguing over who had pulled more weeds.

I shut the door and Elvis started to meow and meow again. Then he started running towards the door and with a leap into the air he tried to open the door. I have a latch type of door knob..and the dang cat almost got it open again!

Are you kidding me?

This explains a lot of things the kids have been blamed for...like leaving doors open, letting Elvis out of his room, and drinking all of my diet coke..{okay so that last one was all me}.

So, what's the best stupid pet
trick you've ever witnessed
?

1 comment:

Jen said...

I just read a book about family, which happened to have a cat that could open doors!!! (THe prize winner of defiance, OH.) That is hilarious!!

Our old cat Gilbert used to fling himself at the window screens when he wanted to come in (WE let our cat outside--in truth, toby tried to keep him outside as much as possible!) He would just hang there with all four paws clinging to the screen--leaving us to stare at his underbelly--and watch every screen we had be ruined!