Disclaimer: If you are a person who likes to read posts with happy endings--avoid this one at all costs.
Friday night at about 935 pm, I decided to take a nice, relaxing bubblebath. I turned on the water, dumped in the cucumber melon bubbles -- and the doorbell rang. It was my good friend Rosemary wanting to borrow "New Moon" for her trip to LA. I grabbed it for her - and then proceeded to visit with her on the porch - completely forgetting about my running water. At 955 - dear daughter S comes out to the porch - "Mom, why is there a flood in your bedroom?"
AHHHHHHHHHH! I screamed - Rosemary followed. My room all the way under my bed was flooded. My walk-in closet - flooded. There was at least 2 inches of water on my bathroom tile floor. WE immediately started sopping it up with every towel I've ever known - even A and S's baptism towels (sorry mom). Every time a towel would get full of water - I'd throw it into the tub. Pretty soon the tub was full of wet towels - and no dry towels were left. Rosemary said - get blankets - so I got into my blanket cupboard and used 3 quilts -to continue the soaking up process.
At this point, R headed home to grab her shop-vac. Enter DH. None too happy - but with a couple of headshakes and a what happened - he was off to the store to snag a carpet cleaner. (I must admit I was worried he was going to get really mad at me -well deserved of course - but the silence was deafening. I am still asking him just to yell at me and put me out of my misery).
R came back and began to suck up water out of my carpet in the bedroom. I was still working on getting the flood under control in my bathroom. It was a struggle. By the time she had filled the shopvac - we were both covered in water. I don't know about R but I wanted to cry. But since it was either laugh or cry - we decided to laugh and make the best of it.
I got the bathroom tile under control - and since R was leaving for her trip at 9 the next morning - I sent her on her way. I continued to fill the shopvac with more and more water. I couldn't believe how much water there was.
DH arrived home shortly after - and started sucking water up with the carpet cleaner. He filled the tank and dumped it twice. Now it was like midnight - and I told him to let me take over and he could have a break (after all it was my fault). He headed downstairs and I continued to work away on the carpet. 2 seconds later my DH came running back up the stairs. "Stop what you're doing - find me the phonebook - there's a pond downstairs!"
to be continued....
No comments:
Post a Comment