Sunday, June 24, 2007

A Series of Unfortunate Events...Part 2

Now, before you become too alarmed -it wasn't really a pond - just a soggy, soggy mess. So I grabbed the phonebook and we both went racing downstairs. The guest bathroom was in at least 2 inches of water. The carpet all the way to where you enter the basement was soaked. The guest bedroom floor - soaked. Even my poor craft room was wet along the edges of the wall. But the piece de la resistance was the ceiling in the guest room - a sagging, dripping, bubble.

I promise, I almost vomited - it made me so sick to my stomach to think what my carelessness had done. Even still - when I think about how it all came about - it makes me nauseated. Anyway - we knew we were in trouble. DH called an emergency house crew - and they said they would be there between 1 - 1 1/2 hours.

We headed back upstairs and proceeded to move as much furniture out of our room as possible. DH"s big dresser & the two nightstands are currently in my hall. We pushed the bed as far over as possible. Then DH went into the front room and noticed wetness on the piano wall. We then moved all the furniture away from the piano wall. Then I started to get worried about the coat closet - where we keep shoes and backpacks. I began to clear that out. Luckily - nothing had leaked through there.

After seeing the piano wall, we decided we'd better check our closet (which backs the piano wall and in all honesty hadn't seemed that bad at first). Cleaning out my closet has been on my to do list since January. So you can imagine how frustrating it was to have to dig underneath shoes, a few clothes that had fallen off of hangers, wrapping paper & other junk I had kept meaning to clean up - knowing we'd find a waterlogged mess. And we did. We had to empty the entire closet. (I guess the good news is I can take cleaning out my closet off my to do list hehe).

About the time we were finishing with the closet and furniture moving (about 1.5 hours) the emergency home specialists showed up. It was about 130am - and let me tell you they smelled like a wild Friday night - cig's and a hangover waiting too happen. Quite honestly, I didn't care - I was just glad they were there to help.

The "specialists" tore up the carpet in the bedroom/bathroom/closet/pianoroom/ guestroom in the basement/ bathroom/craft room/pingpong room/hallway - and put blowers on all of it. They cut away part of the ceiling in the basement guest room. Cut away a little part of the ceiling in the hall. The wall in the guestroom was bowing a little bit - but they just put a hot blower on it - I think they will have to repair a section of it though. The wall in the basement bathroom looks like it's melting (think big water drips). Finally at about 330am - the fixer-uppers said they were finished. They told us they'd be back Monday to pick up the blowers (and then I'm guessing they headed back to the bar).

Could it get any worse? To be continued....See Part 3

No comments: