Sunday, June 24, 2007

A Series of Unfortunate Events...Part 3

Well - the next day really didn't get worse - but it was definitely full of shenanigans. We woke up to breakfast in bed. J & S figuring we were up late in the night, and seeing the disaster area which we call home - at 830 am brought us a bowl of honeycombs, toast, sliced up apples and juice. I thought it was pretty sweet. (Poor DH was so tired he ate part of the cereal and was done.)

When I got out of bed and walked into the front room - I noticed how warm it was. The temp said it was 80 degrees. My first thought was - oh great - I ruined the AC too. But then I realized that some of the blowers blow regular air - and some of them are blowing warm "dehumidified" air. Talk about a hot house about to get hotter--the high was supposed to be 100 on Saturday - but by mid-day our solar clock said it was 102. Also by mid-day our temperature on the main floor of the house reached 85. The basement was at 80 and it seemed the only escape would be the kids bedrooms - which ironically are usually the hottest rooms in the house.

Anyway - that morning I decided I'd better vacuum up the dust bunnies that were found when they moved furniture so they could pull up the carpet. I plugged in the vacuum, and began the task. Two seconds later - my room & bathroom went dark - the rest of the house was fine. With all the fans going, I guess the vacuum was just too much for that little circuit breaker. DH flipped the breaker - then told me NOT to clean (which was music to my ears).

DH called the insurance company (weekend crew). They said an insurance adjuster would be calling us Monday to set up an appt to come out and survey the damage. I'm hoping the insurance dude will be able to come out on Monday - so we can get this mess cleaned up. But at least we know that the fans will be gone by then so we won't be soo hot. I think that's been the worst part.

Anyway, later in the day, J started to not feel well. Her throat was hurting, she felt like she was going to vomit - she was dizzy. That evening DH also wasn't feeling well - he had the same symptoms. Seriously - as hot as our house got, I wondered if it was heat stroke - I tried having J drink lots of water (but both of them were still not better by today and missed church).

At about 4 pm, DH wanted to take the carpet cleaner we had rented back to the store. There are spots in the kids bedrooms and hall that I wanted to clean. And so I asked him to wait a bit so I could hurry and get it done. Everyone was going stir crazy, so DH ran to rent a DVD for the kids. I filled up the carpet cleaner, turned it on - and after 2 pulls down the hall - the entire house went dark. Thinking it was just the breakers, like it had been earlier, I ran down to the breaker box (with a flashlight) and flipped every last one of them. Nothing happened - it was still dark.

DH got home about 10 minutes after it happened and went outside to investigate. He discovered that three of our neighbors were also in the dark. So, apparently, that extra bit of juice it took to run the carpet cleaner - blew our little circuit board that we share with the other 3 neighbors - of course we weren't confessing to anything. We called the electric company and since it was getting close to dinner time, DH decided we'd BBQ and hang out on the deck (which now luckily was in the shade), and play card games. About 1 1/2 hours later - the electric company came and fixed our power outage. None of our neighbors were the wiser. Although, this next time when I went to finish the carpet cleaning, I unplugged a couple of fans. I mean how awkward would it be if I knocked the power out again right?

By 10 pm - we were all ready for bed, tired of listening to the fans, and ready for this shenanigan day to be over. Unfortunately, the house was still pretty hot-83 and holding. So the kids slept in their rooms (it really wasn't too bad up there) and DH and I slept on couches (I got black beauty, he opted for big red). And that was the end to a no good, very bad day, full of a series of unfortunate events.

No comments: