For the past week, I've had my cute cousin and her husband staying with me. She is from Idaho - but had to come to UT to have her baby near Primary Children's hospital. Her baby boy has a big hole in his heart due to a chromosome deletion. He will have to have heart surgery around 3 days old - pretty nerve wracking for my cousins family - and really anyone who knows them.
Both Jen and her husband have had a great attitude since they've been here. I mean I know I'd be a basket case 24/7. But, they have remained strong and maintained a positive outlook. I'm very impressed with their strength - and their dedication to the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Jen and Toby have always been righteous people - very devoted to their LDS faith. But during this trial they have taken it to a new level. They've done the obvious things people can do to fortify their spirits - read their scriptures, pray, hold family night regularly, attend their church meetings etc. But in their efforts to draw closer to Heavenly Father - they've even sacrificed things like favorite TV shows & movies due to inappropriate themes. They've also really emphasized the importance of family togetherness in their lives.
I think everyone's spiritual level can always do with some improvement - and it's not like I feel as if I'm an unrighteous person. But I look at the way my cousin's have been preparing themselves to receive this sweet baby - and I have to think - what's my deal? If it means I can draw closer to my Heavenly Father to give up unrighteous things - even so simple as a TV show, movie or even a trashy romance novel - then what's my problem?
I mean I'm doing the obvious things like going to church, having family night and family prayer, and reading my scriptures. But, am I willing to give up the small stuff? Up until this point the small things haven't seemed like that big of deal. But maybe they are.
My favorite quote from women's conference is "Small Things Result in Eternal Consequences." Maybe if I'd just stitch that onto a pillow and follow through with the quote - then I'd have my answer.
2 comments:
You are very true to me. I have a testimony that the small things do make a difference. There have been times in my life where I have been on a higher plane and the small things are offensive to my spirit. And then there are the other times in my life where it really takes a lot to offend my spirit. I know it is much better living on that higher plane - but much harder to maintain. I guess that is the true test that we are all here on earth taking - can we endure to the end and keep up what we know. I am glad that you posted this. I am going to make a renewed effort. Of course, being at girl's camp for the next 5 days is going to make it easier... And your 70 day reading of the Book of Mormon will make it easier too. Tell your cute cousin that she has a follower.
Nic,
That is what I needed. With all the decisions we are trying to make as a family I need to do the small things! I've been thinking about that a lot lately. I've noticed when I go with out those wordly things I don't miss them and life seems easier and more pleasant. When I'm watching that lame show or whatever I have more time to do the important things. Even if that means saying a more meaningful prayer because I'm not going to bed after I've already fallen asleep on the couch. Man, am I revealing too much about myself? Anyway, thanks for the pick me up, I'm going to do better!
Post a Comment