Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Paint, Kids and a Husband Oh My!

When the Flood of 07' happened - I started dropping hints that we should paint our bedroom. It had been a reoccuring topic in our home since we moved in 2 years ago. I wanted our room painted, but DH thought it would be a huge hassle for a few reasons: too much furniture to contend with, a high ceiling, the wall separating our bedroom from our master bathroom doesn't go all the way up (which means painting the bathroom too), and he didn't like the color I wanted to go with - dirty yellow.

Naturally, I didn't want to be too pushy - since the reason our room was empty was because of me. But, I did try to point out that "gee, since our room is empty, it sure would be easy to paint the room." I also pointed out that since we were getting new carpet we wouldn't even have to put down drop cloths. I may have even insinuated that I'd be willing to make a color change (which I really wasn't planning on doing - I just figured that I'd be by myself picking the paint out and when I came home with dirty yellow - we'd both be surprised hehe)

On the 4th of July, we weren't feeling too festive. My sister who was supposed to be in town had been delayed - so all of our family party plans were cancelled. Plus, it was supposed to be a really hot day - and the parade in Provo is such a rat-race - neither one of us felt like camping out to get a spot. We had tentatively planned on going up to Park City and hanging out up there for the festivities. But, it was also going to be a hot one up there - and we didn't get up and going early enough to make it worth it.

We had to appease the kids, who were feeling sorry for themselves since their parents were the Scrooges of the 4th. So we decided to go to see "Ratatouille". We planned to hit the earliest show possible (1130 am) to beat the crowds - since the movie had only been out a week. But when we got there, half of the state of Utah had the same idea and the soonest we could get in to the movie was for the 3 pm showing.

DH bought the tickets for 3 pm and we headed home. A few miles down the road we passed a Lowe's (which is about 3 miles away from a Home Depot). And DH said, "Do you like buying paint at Lowe's or Home Depot?" I'm a Home Depot girl I said. The next thing I knew he was pulling into Home Depot and said let's get some paint for the bedroom and we'll do it today. "With the kids?" I asked. "Yes" he said. "And with you?" I asked - actually I just thought that in my head. But - boy did I want to run them home quick and then come back ALONE.

All five of us headed into the store to the paint department. I found my favorite dirty yellow colors. DH was looking at some sage green colors. I realized this color decision was going to make or break the plan to paint. DH did have some valid points - one being that as big of a pain as the room was going to be to paint - did we really want to paint it dirty yellow only to get sick of it in a year or two (I think he was already sick of looking at it hehe). He also pointed out how much more neutral a sage green would be. And his final point was if we ever sold the house who in their right mind would want a dirty yellow room. I began to list off at least 4 girls I know who love dirty yellow. He finally suggested that we paint my craft room dirty yellow. I didn't know whether to be insulted or happy that at least one room in my house could be the color of my dreams--but it was the only room in the house that DH doesn't set foot in.

It wasn't that I didn't like the sagey green - and since it's his room too - I began looking in the green color families trying to find the perfect shade of green. I had found about 4 colors I was debating between when DH said - pick one and let's go. Since I had only been thinking about the colors for about 15 minutes, I tried to explain that this was a big decision. I needed to figure out which shade of green would go best with my quilt in my room, match the furniture best, and match the carpet best - which hadn't even been installed so it was really hard to picture it. He asked me if I planned on fasting and praying about it- because he was losing the momentum to paint.

The kids were also losing their momentum - to live. The twins were being maniacs - playing on the paint computer, running down the aisle like heathens and saying mom let's go! J was begging for me to buy a crazy, funky pink color to do in her room. I realized I needed to kick it in gear and make a decision. So, I asked DH for a few more minutes and he took the kids to the paint brush section.

I studied the colors - did I want the sage green, the mintier sage green, the oliveier sage green or the yellowier sage green. It was hard to decide. Finally - I took the 2 colors I liked best to DH and made him decide (of course he didn't pick the one I was leaning towards - but I went with his choice anyway). Then I couldn't watch as they mixed the paint color - I was so worried I wasn't going to like it.

Once we got it up on the walls - it looked great. Of course, I can see all the spots we didn't do perfectly. But I'm hoping once the furniture is moved back in and the pictures and such are hung - I won't notice it anymore.

I know this whole flood has been the hugest pain in the fanny for many people involved - my DH, my kids, ME, my sister and her fam, my bookgroup(they need a hostess for next month) -- and anyone else who I have had to put off until the flood repair is finished. But I have to say, despite the pain - my bedroom is looking better than ever, my new carpet is gorgeous and soft, DH has the painting bug and wants to paint other rooms in the house, my craft room is going to get the dirty yellow color it deserves -- and it never would've happened if I hadn't left the bathtub running unattended for 25 minutes while I visited with my girlfriend on the porch (will I ever look back on that statement and laugh?).
PS The picture makes it look a little lighter than it is. And notice my little reading corner in the picture above? I am so excited for that.

2 comments:

Jolene said...

Send pictures!! I can't wait to see the rejuvination!! When is your sister going to be there? Where is she staying in the mean time? I hope I was included in the 4 girls who love dirty yellow -can't wait to see the craft room!

One Sassy Mama said...

Yes - you, Vic, Jill and my next door neighbor Rosemary made the list. I bet there are even more girls who have a great love for dirty yellow. I will take pic's and post them.
My sis arrived on July 5. She stayed here a couple of nights - on my guest room mattress & box springs set up on the floor. Her kids slept on the floor too. Me and DH slept on couches upstairs.
This week she stayed at her husbands sister's house. Next week they will be in El Paso till Thursday. Hopefully, by then we will be magically delicious and fixed all up. It will be a party!