My mom asked me the other day if I liked my dermatologist. I told her he was okay but I wouldn't really recommend him to anyone. This concerned her. "Why are you going to someone you don't like?" she asked. I informed her I was too lazy to drive to a better doctor who was 20 minutes further away (this guy is already 15 minutes away). I also told her that I was fine with mediocre doctors as long as it wasn't for something major. I mean, how hard is it to shave off a mole? I think I could've done it myself - but I like the numbing medication too much.
So, this morning I had a dermatologist appointment for "nevus eradication" (the medical term sounds so much fancier than "mole removal"). The secretary from the office had left me a voicemail message two days ago reminding me of my 11:00 appointment - and informing me at the Dr's request to arrive 20 minutes before said appointment. At my last visit - I had waited 30 minutes in the waiting room and another 30 in the examining room - but I figured I'd better do what they said.
Upon my arrival at the office, (at 10:40 no less) I noticed a fairly crowded room. Being that he is the only Dr. in the office - I figured I would have quite the wait. Honestly, I really don't mind waiting for doctors -- as long as they have good magazines and I don't have any kids with me. But, I did wonder when the "prep work" I was there for would begin.
At about 1130, the nurse took me back into the Dr's examination room. She sat down to get my stats - and said "You are here for...You are here for..." She was scanning my file and couldn't find my purpose for the visit. I reminded her "nevus eradication" (well actually - I used the layman's term - but I'm trying to be famous right now). She continued to look and couldn't find it anywhere in my chart. She said finally found my info. But I think she was faking it because she felt so dumb. She looked positively puzzled.
She started to prepare the tray for "nevus eradication". Then she got this huge camera and said she needed to photograph said "nevus". At this point, she left the room. Out in the hall, I could hear her talking (those doctor office walls should be soundproofed). She said, "You know that lady who we have no idea why she's here? Well, she says it's for "nevus eradication" and I need to take pictures and I don't know what to take a picture of."
At this point, I started to reconsider my take on mediocrity. I mean, good grief - what if "nevus eradication" didn't mean mole removal? Admittedly, I was already nervous about getting shots in my eyebrow and forehead - and this chick definitely wasn't making it any better.
The mystery lady in the hall miraculously found the information in my large but concise three page file and showed it to the nurse. She came back in and sheepishly took her pictures. She had me sign some paperwork saying I wouldn't hold them accountable for stuff (I think mediocrity was on that list). Then the doc came in (at noon - for those of you keeping track) and I'm pretty sure he knew what he was doing - at least I hope he did.
Yes, the shot hurt. Yes, the nevus' have been eradicated. And No, I won't be going back to that joker. Maybe mediocrity is okay for some things - but I guess dermatologists aren't one of them.
No comments:
Post a Comment