For the most part, my DH is great at hanging pictures on the wall. I am demanding in my requests that things be centered and at the perfect height - and as a rule he does a decent job. He was such a great sport when it came to the hanging of the "clock wall" -- 5 big clocks on a vaulted ceiling wall, were not an easy task for sure. He had great success in the piano room with my over sized topiary pictures - and a very, very heavy mirror. He also hung without complaint - an awkward, but heavy clock in my kitchen.
There is only one issue DH seems to have with the hanging of pictures and that is it generally takes him 3 times to get it right. The clock wall is an exception to this rule - he was pretty much on with the clocks (although I wanted them to be catawampus - so there was a bit more room for error).
Recently, we moved the piano from the family room into the living room. This required some redecorating. As mentioned above, in the front room we have 2 over sized topiary pictures and a heavy mirror. Basically, we had to flip flop the walls - moving the mirror to the wall where the topiary pictures were and vice versa.
When we took the topiary pictures off the wall, I laughed. I had forgotten my DH's secret to his success with the hanging of pictures - until I saw the 12 holes in the wall (each picture had two hooks on either side of it - so 3X2=6X2=12 lovely holes.
My daughter came in and asked what the deal was with all the holes, and I explained to her the "3 hole rule" that DH had in hanging pictures. Then I started to sing, "He's once, twice, three times a hanger..." After my beautiful song, and a little eye-rolling - DH announced that this time it was going to be different - this time it was going to only take him one try - because now he was a hanging professional.
Mirror Hanging Take One: DH put in his wall anchors, screwed in the screw and then with my assistance we hung the mirror. Unfortunately, it was too low. (In his defense, the mirror has two hinged hooks on the back - that slide with the screw in the wall and it makes for a tricky hanging). But still, suffice it to say, "He's once, twice, three times the hanger..."
Mirror Hanging Take Two: DH just knew he'd be able to hang the mirror this second time around. I mean, all he had to do was raise it up - and we would be good to go. DH put in his wall anchors, screwed in the screws, and once again we hung the picture. I could tell it was just right -- the mirror was perfectly level and looked fab. At least, until we moved the piano back to the wall. Then we discovered it was not centered above the piano and that is definitely one of my requirements. At this point, there were so many holes in the wall, I suggested we just take a marker, connect the dots and we'd have some great modern art. What can I say except "He's once, twice, three time the hanger..."
Mirror Hanging Take Three: With the mirror off the wall, my daughter again came into the room and commented on the holes in the wall -- she said, "Dad with all those holes in the wall, what are we going to do if we ever move?" (I suggested new drywall - which DH didn't appreciate). Since this was the third time, we both knew that the picture hanging for the evening was almost coming to a close. Sure enough, DH moved the wall anchors over two inches, screwed in the screws and we hung the picture. It was fabulously centered, gloriously level and I couldn't be happier. Hey, we may not get things right the first time, or maybe even the second time - but mark us down for the third time cause we're golden!
And hey DH, this next cheesy song is just for you, "You're once, twice, three times a hanger - but we love you!"
1 comment:
You are lucky he does it for you. My dear A puts it off and puts it off until I just do it myself and then it is totally crooked. Or remember my mirror in my entry - I finally convinced him to hang it and his 6'4" head is the only one that can be seen in it. If I stand on my tippy toes I can see the top of my head.
Post a Comment