My kids are always asking for me for a pet -- dogs, cats, birds (yes - they are so desperate that even a bird sounds good). It's not that I don't like animals - I grew up with dogs. But, they weren't the kind you bonded with - they were my dad's hunting dogs and they served there purpose. I just haven't been able to find a purpose for a pet in our family yet.
Now, I don't mind low maintenance pets - like fish. For the twins birthday, my sis gave them each an African frog. They aren't too bad -- a lot like having a fish - and I think more fun to watch. Although I must admit, the best kind of pets are the stuffed ones.
My neighborhood is full of cute little expensive dogs. My good friend has a darling Shih Tzu that absolutely adores me - I'm not joking. He shows this by licking my toes incessantly and hopping up on my lap everytime I sit down. This isn't the first dog that has enjoyed the toe-licking. It seems that every cute little yippy-yappy dog I come in contact with is trying to buy my love with toe licking. What is it with me and these little furballs? They must have some sort of sensor that makes them want to convince me that I really should love them. Unfortunately, I do not return the adoration.
So, as my children continue to feel deprived, I like to remember the quote of a good friend of mine, Jolene, who says something to the effect of, "I can either be a pet lover or a kid lover - take your pick." (75% of the time my kids pick the kid lover).
2 comments:
Don't give in! We got a puppy a couple of years ago and she has caused more contention than anything else even though she is the cutest thing. You have the right idea about low maintenice being the way to go!
That is a good friend to you - to give you those words to use on your kids. I'll bet she is really smart.
Post a Comment