Monday, February 11, 2008

Edward Scissorhands Where Art Thou?

I am a creature of habit. I enjoy a good routine--or should I say rut? When I like something, I stick with it. Why leave it to chance that you won't like it? I always buy the same makeup, shop at the same stores (Kohl's, Walmart, Target, Costco), go to the same restaurant (mmm Zupas), order the same type of food (turkey cranberry panini & 1/2 summer chicken salad), order the same drink at Sonic (diet coke with lime)--I think you get the picture.

I am no different when it comes to my hair. I have been going to the same hairstylist for almost 3 years. I found her through my next door neighbor (whose hair I admired from afar). One day, I got up the guts to ask "Who does your hair?" And she told me about this girl she'd been going to for 15 years. I went to her - and she cut me a hairstyle divine (I call it the "Rosemary" after my girlfriend who told me about her).

So, I've been getting the "Rosemary" regularly for the past 3 years. It's pretty much a stacked bob - and I'm quite proud of it. I'm practically a professional at styling it - and I feel very trendy (of course, I do have matching hair with my neighbor - but she's a brunette and I'm blond - so I figure who's gonna notice?)

My sister Jilly and I are both going on vacation this upcoming week. We needed haircuts - so I made an appointment with my hairstylist. Jill hasn't had her hair cut since October (and that was done by her good friend that she completely trusted). So upon my "trustworthy" referral she decided to give my hairgirl, Kay, a try.

Oopsie.

Kay is really good at cutting the "Rosemary" - but if you throw a new do' at her - sometimes there can be trouble. Kay may or may not be able to accomodate you (and it's a given that she will not be able to style it cute either way). Well, Jill didn't want the "Rosemary" she wanted the "Mollie" (which is the name of her friend who cut her hair in October). I must admit the "Mollie" is a very cute cut--I even thought about asking for the "Mollie" today - until I watched dear Kay cut Jill's hair into a "Rosemary".

Still, when it was my turn to get into the chair - I wasn't completely convinced that Kay couldn't do something a little different. I decided it was time to change it up a bit. So I asked for a flippity-stacked-partial-a-line (not really the name of the cut -but I did show her a picture).

Round One: Back of hair is flippity & stacked. No partial a-line. Kay commences styling and blow drying. I hate to cause trouble - but finally I can't take it anymore and I ask for a re-do of the do (at least on the sides).

Round Two: After spraying my hair with water, snip, snip on the sides. The sides look better. Kay begins styling and blow drying - and in the middle of it--she decides I need more layers in the back at the top of my head.

Round Three: After cutting more layers, the styling begins again. It's not going well. She's tried to flip up my sides (which isn't what the pic even looks like). Then she flat irons it (which with my thin and crappy hair - you only can flat iron it when there is no hairspray in it - or it's fly away city).

Round Four: Somehow during the styling, the scissors reappear. My hair is dry and partially styled -- but she seems to be snipping and snapping off little stray pieces. I started to feel like one of Edward Scissorhands projects gone awry. An hour has passed, since the haircut began - and Kay finally finishes up with the styling. It actually turned out pretty cute.

I am hoping that with all the crazy cutting and styling that I can get it to work tomorrow. If not, I guess I'll just go back to cutting it and styling it like the "Rosemary"--I mean really what was I thinking? Why didn't I just stick with a good thing?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just one question for you and Jill...Where are the pictures of said new do's? It sounds like a fun adventure for you two if nothing else. How is Jill liking the Rosemary? Finding the perfect hair girl is like trying to find the Holy Grail- a never-ending search!

One Sassy Mama said...

I guess we should've snapped pic's when we were together yesterday! Didn't think about it. Jill says hers isn't too bad today - but I don't think she will be coming back to Kay. I am still trying to decide if I like it. It's really my own fault for not sticking with the "Rosemary".

Beeswax said...

I love it! The Rosemary, the Mollie. I decided to get bangs last summer and still haven't figured out what to do with them. I've had the same hair my whole life except for twice (which were horrible disasters): I do long, with layers or no layers. And now, with bangs that get tucked behind my ear. I finally stopped doing my hair with hot rollers a la 1988 about 2 years ago, but now I hear hot-rollered hair is back! AAAAAAh! I think we all need the #2 buzz cut. We'd save a lot of time and worry.