thought that it would be a good idea to have 8-45 year old boys (let's be honest -- it is mostly a dad thing) pitted against each other in a competetion that is not for the faint of heart (i.e. me)? Yes, it's that time of year. We are getting our pinewood derby cars on Wednesday (for our derby in March). Last year, was Aussie's first year in scouts and we did the raingutter regata. This
wasn't too major in preparing--and our scout master made it very fun for the boys. Even though it was a competition - it didn't feel like one - and Aussie seemed to enjoy it (thank goodness--cause I don't even think we placed in the top 10).This year, our scoutmaster opted for the derby--which at first I thought sounded like a fun idea. Then I heard one of the scout moms complain that her son needs at least 2 months to make his derby car (and actually requested the derby be pushed back to April).
Let's face it, I'm in trouble here. I'm not a supercompetitive mom - I just want Aussie to have fun (and maybe be ranked in the top 10 - is that so wrong?). But, I don't know the first thing about making a derby car (DH has already turned it over to me--he thinks it's just another craft project and that it should be right up my alley). In all honesty, I don't mind helping with it - but this is no raingutter regatta. People take it very seriously.
So, I began my research today. I was talking to my dear sis Jilly (she is Cubmaster in her ward
and they just had their derby last month). I asked her if she had any tips on how to make a winning car. She informed me that since she was really just in charge of the weighing - not the actual building - that she had no clue. But, she did share some very disturbing news with me. She said that when you receive the derby car--it is just a block of wood. Really, it is. Now, some of you die-hard derby car builders are probably shaking your head in embarrassment for me - but give me a break here - the only derby cars I've seen are the ones Michael's craft store sells - and they are already carved and ready to paint (which sounded like a good plan to me until Jilly said they are lame--and don't go very fast).
I am currently surfing the internet - and have found a few good websites. But, here is my plea to you. I need you to help me--help my son! I don't want Aussie to go down in history as being the boy who came in last place at his first derby--the stigma attached to that alone could require years and years of therapy. So, if you have any--and I mean any--derby ideas on how to make the best car--please post it ASAP!
2 comments:
I have no advice for you. We totally su*%ed at it. The only thing that saved Devon was that Troy lived next door during that time. He is the pinewood derby car guru. See if he will send you a car from Texas!
I hear there is a book online called the pinewood derby bible- w/ tons of clues on how to make a winning car. Also- Ben and Sam just had theirs, and Toby was really into it. He worked hard on them and they did okay- finished in the middle of the pack I think, he and Jen could help I think. The only thing I know for sure about them is that you want it to be as heavy as possible and still be w/in the weight limit. This makes them go faster. Good luck, I think you're a great mom to care so much!
Post a Comment