Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Name Game

I went to our RS Lunch Bunch today and visited with a fun group of girls. One of the girls (Misty) is pregnant and having a boy in June - so the topic of baby names came up. Misty told us her top boy names - her number one name was Colton (which I think is so cute).

Anyway, Misty said how she would never name any of her kids with a name ending in "Y" because it just isn't a name that a child can grow up with & sound smart. She referred to herself and said that when you think of "Misty" you don't think of a smart adult - you think of a ditzy, nice, fun, cute cheerleader. So, Misty's ultimate goal in naming babies is to give them a "smart" name that works with both a babe, toddler and adult.

Another girl commented that her friend had wanted to name her baby boy with a "strong" name - and named him "Steel". She said how it was almost awkward to hold this sweet smelling baby in her arms and call him a piece of metal.

Generally, I try not to pass judgement on a name (at least until I get to know the person)--but I have known children named Talon, Storm, Jaggar & Autumn who have lived up to my every expectation. One of Jay's swim coaches is named Thor. When she first started talking about him - I'll admit I had a Nordic superhero pictured in my head. When I saw him, I was a little surprised--he looks like one of my brothers--about 5'9, dark hair--no superhero tendancies.

Until I was fourteen, I was known as Nicki. Then we moved to a new town and I went with my given name Nicole. I still have a few family members who call me Nicki - and it's very nostalgic to me--I like it. But, if you were to ask me the first thing that comes to my mind when I hear the name Nicki? I'll be honest - I'd say a stripper (not sure why - since I never entertained the idea of that profession-I promise!). I still like being called Nicki - but I'd never request "Post-Nicki" friends to call me that (unless I was entering a mid-life crisis and headed to Vegas--but that's a whole nother post folks).

After lunch bunch, Misty sent me an email. She signed it jokingly as "Love, Happy-Go-Lucky, cute-fun, but not so smart, Misty". I emailed her back adding other nice adjectives that I think of when I think of her name. But, it made me curious as to what she thought of when she hears the name "Nicole." So, I asked her. I gave her the whole Nicki to Nicole theory and this is what she emailed back.

Misty said, "Nicole is the perfect name!! I love it when you can have a kid name and then it works for (Nicki to Nicole) a grown up name!! Although Nicole does remind me of my cute friend who I used to get into a little too much trouble with--the kind that could talk her way out of any ticket...but when I think of Nicole I think of YOU--smart, talented, creative, but down to earth and a music record voice. So maybe people get more of the whole picture of me than I think. I do think I became my name a little though--chicken or the egg? Who knows."

Maybe Misty should add "extra humble and modest" to my name - since I'm posting her kind comments about me on my own blog (I did email her back and told her to add "kind and generous" to her Misty moniker). But, I LOVE what she said about how she "became her name". I think it's true. We are all given a name as babies - and as we grow up we can choose whether we are going to create good impressions or bad ones--our actions determine what others are going to think of us and our names.

As we were choosing names for our kids, it involved a lot of research, lists and discussions. There were names that I loved that my DH hated because it reminded him of somebody he couldn't stand and vice versa. I don't have any regrets with what named our kids-so I guess we did a good job (I suppose we'll find out later how well we did when one of them changes their name to Calliope or something). When I was JR. High age, I kept a journal -- filled with silliness about who I was going to marry and what I was going to name my kids. Scarlett ranked at the top of that list - my oldest can be grateful she dodged that bullet.

So, loyal readers - how do you feel about your name? Do you like it? What guidelines have you used in naming your own children? Inquiring minds want to know.

4 comments:

Jolene said...

When I was a kid I hated having a name that was the same as a country-western song. All of my Oklahoma cousins gave me a very hard time about that. Now I like it, I even like the song - it makes me wish I had auburn hair.

When I was young I wanted to name a boy Lincoln, or Dexter I thought they were cool boy names. I was also dreaming of twin girls named Brittney and Brooke. Thank goodness that didn't happen.

While I was pregnant with the twins I read a book by Carlos Asay called Family Pecan Trees and it was about building strong family traditions. He said we should name our kids family names and names with meanings - so each of ours has a family name for a middle name.

When the twins were born - I had "twin" names picked out; Preston and Paige, Devon and Darby (loved the Pelican Brief) and Carver (Lorna Doone's brother) and Courtney. Thank goodness we came to our senses and picked Devon and Courtney - so much less confusing.

When pregnant with Morgan, I just knew we were going to name her Gillian - I loved the spelling with a G or Gwen, I loved that name too. Alan wanted Kelly - when she came out she wasn't any of those names.

With Nicole (such a great name) I wanted Isabelle or Claire - Alan thought they were fat girl names. We loved the name Nicole with her middle name Carlene so it was set.

I think boy names are harder. I hope Devon doesn't hate us too much. People sometimes say his name Dee-vawn (very ethnic) when they first see it written. We just loved the Devonshire part of Britain and who doesn't love Devon cream? We have known two girls named Devyn - but then again we have come by boys named Courtney and boys named Morgan. What happened to boys names being boys names and girls names that were definitely girls names. I went to Jr. High with a boy named Shannon.

I'm just glad I am done. I'm glad I don't live in Utah - baby naming is much more competitve there. You have to check out this hilarious web site: wesclark.com/ubn/

Anonymous said...

You'll always be Nicki to me, so I'm glad you're okay with that. As for my own name, I'm liking it more as I age, but the unusal spelling of it has been hard my whole life- especially now since I'm spelling my first and last name EVERYTIME I give them to someone. So...my rules for naming chilin's would have to include a name that is easily spelled and pronounced. I like them to have a nick-name option built in if possible (like Joshua has) but to not be too too common either (like Paisley) although neither of my kids fit both of those things. I think naming a child is the hardest part of pregnancy (besides the natural childbirth which is just plain hellish) I also like the middle name to be a different number of syllables than the first for flow. And of course, you have to consider the mean rhyming possibilites that kids will come up with. In the end, we flipped a coin for Paisley! She was almost Mia which I'm sure I would've liked as well.

One Sassy Mama said...

Jo - I told my sis the other day to name her little boy Lincoln - I like it - and I don't mind Brooke. Not a fan of Dexter or Brittney though.
I did the same thing with my twins - Harrison and Hannah, Savannah and Sam, Austin and Aubrey and Logan and Lacey. Savvy says she wishes I would've named her Lacey - which if you know her for the tomboy that she is - it's just hilarious. Aussie says he wishes he were Sam. Go figure.

Ally - you know of my love for the name Paisley - as it was my nickname in HS - if DH would've gone for it Jay would've been Pay hehe. I love the way your name is spelled - unfortunately for other Allyson's I always spell their name wrong because I'm used to your spelling. hehe
PS - my sis-in-law named her baby Mia - and my kids all call her Mamma Mia (Mario Brothers influence of course) and DH calls her Mia Hamm -- I think it's fun now--we'll see how she likes it when she's older!
PSS I graduated from HS with a girl who married her HS sweetie at the age of 18 - and had a honeymoon baby - they named her Hope Leslie Young. So, I guess we could've saddled our kids with something worse.

Shannon said...

I also went to school with a boy named Shannon, hated it. Never really have liked my name. No fun nick names. I loved to play with baby dolls, and always had one named Samantha. I would call her Sam for short and invisioned my own little tom boy dauther in later years. Now I really have a Samantha and can't ever call her Sam,it just doesn't fit her. She is not the tomboy I invsioned. She is defiantly a Samantha though! Can't wait to see you this weekend!