Last week, in Jay's YW lesson, she learned about "Encouraging Family Unity". Her YW president taught the lesson and she shared story from a CD by John Bytheway (the hero of my teenage years) called "Tour De Family".
In the story, he compared the "Tour de France" to the "Tour de Family" and how both are tough races where the goal is to get to the finish line. He said if your entire family were riding a bike and you were coasting - then others would have to pick up your slack and work harder. Or if you were pushing on the brake - then no one else would be able to move forward (I'm sure there were more examples - this is just what the 12 year old shared with me).
In the end of his little parable, he said if your family is all pedaling and moving in the same direction - then you'll all cross the finish line with no empty seats--finishing our ultimate goal to return back to our Heavenly Father with our family intact. (I thought it was a great story - and I'm planning on getting the CD and making...er I mean...letting my family listen to it.)
After Jay finished telling us this great story, I decided to get changed out of my church clothes. A few minutes later I heard a commotion a brewin' between Jay and Aussie. I wasn't really listening to what was being said -- but I gathered that Aussie was being a turkey and not cooperating.
At the end of their argument, Jay said, "Aussie you are the brake in this family!"
Aussie, not having heard the parable of the bicycle said, "Well, your a chip off the old block."
6 comments:
Your kids are funny- I want to be a fly on the wall at your house- I'd just laugh all day I think at all the "shenanigans!"
Nic, you've piqued my curiosity about Google Reader so I gave myself a tour and started an account. But I couldn't find a way to read or leave comments from that site. Do you have to go back to the person's blog? I need some Google insight! -Amy
Ally - if you were a fly on the wall in my house I'm afraid you'd hear a lot more shenanigans than you had bargained for - you might need therapy when you left hehe.
Amy - Google reader - comments? I haven't figured out how to comment while on google reader. I just click on the link to the blog and it takes me there - I comment and then back to G Reader I go. Some blogs allow you to read the comments and some don't. Sorry - but that is the one lame thing about g.reader.
I hope my kids are half as funny as yours.
ok so I signed up with Google reader - you're right, this is a stalker's dream come true! One stop stalking!
I love your blog look with the flowers and the ribbons. I tried the google reader but apparently I like my stalking to be more hands-on. Maybe I should give it another go. So one daughter threw an analogy insult, and the other didn't know what hit her and retaliated with an idiom? Love it.
Post a Comment