Pathetic as this sounds, the biggest battle in our home is over the TV...Tivo to be exact. Oh - sure we have our normal "husband/wife disagreements" over the usual inconsequential stuff--like wet towels thrown on the bed, toothpaste that mysteriously explodes on the counter top, and loading the dishwasher correctly...
..But, the age old argument in our home is over who should be deleting shows to free up space on the Tivo (mind you when we first signed up for the service - 100 hours seemed like plenty of space for both mine and DH's shows).
Last night was no different:
After watching American Idol, DH goes to the menu and asks, "Are you still watching Biggest Loser?"
Me: the defensive martyr, "Go ahead and delete it, so instead of having 95% of the space you can have 96%."
DH: Teasingly, "Now, why does this always have to turn into a fight? I was innocently asking if you would like to keep that show...now what about these 5 hours of "Women's Murder Club" that you've never watched? Are you still saving that?"
Me: Sputtering, "Are you really going there? Mr. Stockpiler of every sporting event you've ever remotely liked?" (I mean, does he really need "Karl Malone: The Mailman's Final Delivery"?)
DH: "I think I'll go to bed now - but be sure to watch one of your Jane Austen shows so you can free up 2 more hours for me to use." (actually - he only said the "I'll go to bed now" part - but I know he was thinking the rest).
SO here's what I've got saved on Tivo:
a) 5 hours of "Women's Murder Club" (I watched the first couple of shows then tivoed the rest. With the writers strike happening right in the middle of the season - there's a chance it won't be coming back at all. I honestly don't want to invest myself into it if there isn't a chance for another season.)
b) Masterpiece (PBS) Jane Austen series:
Persuasion (2 hours)- love, love, love it! I'm saving it for a rainy day or at least till the boxed set comes out on DVD.
Northhanger Abby (2 hours) - I liked it--saving for a rainy day.
Mansfield Park (2 hours) haven't had a chance to watch it yet.
Miss Austen Regrets (2 hours) - still need to watch (February was a busy month for me- and it's hard to watch it on Sunday eve's).
Pride and Prejudice (4 hours) - okay, I'm totally ticked - it aired for 3 Sundays and the 2nd Sunday when we were in Hawaii - it didn't get recorded? What the? I choose to blame it on my DH - I'm sure he had something to do with it.
c) American Idol (1 hour) I only watched the last half of it last night - I had enrichment so I missed the first part.
Now, I'm no math genius - but my tivo hours equal a paltry 18 hours- compared to the 70 hours DH has tied up in sports (from old Jazz games, to Argentine soccer, to BYU vs U of U in football, to the Winter Olympics from 2004 (not kidding!)) According to my calculations - I'm getting about 20% of space compared to DH's 70%. Does anyone else see the discrepancy here?
I'll admit, I'm actually fine with DH's love of the taping and saving of sports. My only problem is when our memory gets down to 10% DH asks ME what we can delete? I demand equal rights for women and TV! I want my fair share! The last time DH and I had this discussion - somehow "fair share" was decided upon me having 25 hours and DH having 75? Go figure?
We need an intervention and I don't think insurance will cover therapy for "abusers of Tivo". So, I beg of you! Please help us settle this argument. What should we do? It's time for someone else to decide.
8 comments:
You need two tivos. There is no way you are going to win. The man has a big BOX full of video taped olympic games from the last 20 years that can not be parted with.
I've never even heard of the Women's Murder Club!
Do NOT delete Persuasion! I will gladly watch it with you during WC and we can swoon over Captain Wentworth while lounging on black beauty. I call the sweet spot.
I love that you know this about my DH. Only a true blue who helped me clean my nasty garage before the big move to the land of Zion - would know that.
I heart Women's Murder Club. It's based on James Patterson's books (First to Die etc). It was on Friday nights. I hear it MAY be coming back - but nothing is final yet. Maybe we'll save that for WC too?
Yes! Yes! Yes! Persuasion and WC in the sweet spot go hand in hand! (but don't forget the DC! no diets during WC)
Nic, totally funny! I liked that mrder club show too!
OK - that's it, I can not remain silent on this topic any longer.
It's fair to say that I do monopolize the DVR. But c'mon, how many times can one re-live John Beck, dropping back, rolling right, rolling left and throwing a touchdown in the final seconds to beat the Utes on the last play of the game!!!!! A moment like that has to be saved forever.
And c'mon, the Mailman Delivers? How could I dare delete that? I have to hang on the glory years of the Jazz.
And the Olympics? Isn't it necessary once every blue moon to click the play button to re-live Apolo Ohno winning that gold medal? Where's the patriotism?
Do you get these emotional, uplifting, refining moments from Women's Murder Club, I ask?
And Jolene, just for the record, someday that Magic Johnson - Larry Bird NBA Finals 80's VHS video tape that I've got stuffed in a box may be worth something....or maybe not, but that's not the point.
I may be willing to negotiate a 70-30 split....
What's WC? As for advice, do what I do...delete the man crap as needed. Only rarely does the man even notice, and then it can be smoothed over with a promise to make snickerdoodles! Although I should disclose that Paul has made it clear that if I delete Jamie Oliver, there'll be he**to pay. And I sort of believe him...By the way, w/ kids in the house who has hrs. that aren't filled up w/ Cyberchase and Scooby doo?
Ally - WC is our secret code for women's conference hehe.
Within the first three months of Tivo - the kids lost any unalienable right to have use of tivo. I still record the occasional scooby doo and during the Christmas season I do record a bunch of sappy specials. But, fighting for my own rights was tough enough.
Nic's Hubby: I have one word for you BOOOOOOO! I demand a recount - how bout 40-60? 35-65?
xoxoxoxo
Sassy Mama
I've just been waiting for you two to come to your level-headed, perfectly sane sister for advice! Finally! I say you solve this once and for all w/ a pong tournament like no other. Double or nothin', winner takes all! We could call it "Equal pings for equal pongs." I could be the ref, since I know so much about the game revolved around a small green table and an even smaller white ball that doesn't match any decor in any home in America. It could be this years "event." Or I kinda like the arguing, it seems to spice up the marriage!
With deepest regards,
jill
Sugar Free - I like the way you think -"Ti Ping Vo Pong" but what if DH insists on Tivoing ping pong tourney's so he can work on his game - wouldn't this defeat the purpose of more tivo time for me?
Also - you're invited to my house next week for a painting party - you're right that ping pong table needs a new color - how bout rookwood red?
Post a Comment