I got an email yesterday (after the fact--or I would've gone up to watch the action)---that said, "A gold-leafed pedestal and statue of the angel Moroni were hoisted atop the single central spire of the Draper Utah Temple today. The Moroni raising marks an important milestone of construction and coincides with completion of the exterior granite facing of the building." Click on this link if you'd like to see pictures of the event.
So, the twins & I went up after soccer practice and saw Angel Moroni, high up on the temple, with the sun setting behind him--in all his glory. What a sight! It was awesome to see.
Savvy said, "Wow, he's golden. I always thought Angel Moroni was silver." {what the?}
Aussie said, "Mom, what if someone tries to steal Angel Moroni. People like to steal gold." {I told him it would likely be a hard thing to steal.}
Then they asked me who the "Moroni" was in Angel Moroni. I thought he was Captain Moroni--the title of liberty Moroni--but the twins disagreed wholeheartedly with my answer.
So, the twins & I went up after soccer practice and saw Angel Moroni, high up on the temple, with the sun setting behind him--in all his glory. What a sight! It was awesome to see.
Savvy said, "Wow, he's golden. I always thought Angel Moroni was silver." {what the?}
Aussie said, "Mom, what if someone tries to steal Angel Moroni. People like to steal gold." {I told him it would likely be a hard thing to steal.}
Then they asked me who the "Moroni" was in Angel Moroni. I thought he was Captain Moroni--the title of liberty Moroni--but the twins disagreed wholeheartedly with my answer.
Aussie said, "Mom, you know how there are like 5 Nephi's in the Book of Mormon? Well, there is more than one Moroni too."
Aussie wanted me to call the Bishop and ask him. Savvy thought I should call & ask my friend, Mary.
Yes, loyal readers, I finally figured out (on my own--well with a little help from lds.org hehe) that it was Mormon's son, Moroni (cut me some slack--he was named after Captain Moroni) who is the one that buried the gold plates in the first place.
LDS.org says, "Moroni is a Book of Mormon prophet who was the son of Mormon. He received the record of his people from his father, and after writing a final message he buried the gold plates in a hill until they could be brought forth and translated. He appeared as a resurrected being to Joseph Smith and gave him the gold plates for translation, as well as instruction pertaining to the Restoration of the gospel. A statue of Moroni, with a trumpet to his lips, appears on almost all temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He has come to symbolize the proclaiming of the gospel of Jesus Christ in latter-days to every creature."
Yes, loyal readers, I finally figured out (on my own--well with a little help from lds.org hehe) that it was Mormon's son, Moroni (cut me some slack--he was named after Captain Moroni) who is the one that buried the gold plates in the first place.
LDS.org says, "Moroni is a Book of Mormon prophet who was the son of Mormon. He received the record of his people from his father, and after writing a final message he buried the gold plates in a hill until they could be brought forth and translated. He appeared as a resurrected being to Joseph Smith and gave him the gold plates for translation, as well as instruction pertaining to the Restoration of the gospel. A statue of Moroni, with a trumpet to his lips, appears on almost all temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He has come to symbolize the proclaiming of the gospel of Jesus Christ in latter-days to every creature."
Feeling sheepish, I told my kids they were right! And they graciously gloated all over the place.
I guess it's true what they say...
...And the children shall lead.
1 comment:
I HATE when my kids are smarter than me. It happens all of the time around here.
Those pictures are so awesome - what a blessing to have a temple so close to you!
Post a Comment