I heart my crock pot. I have a great love for the fact that I can crock it out earlier in the day when I'm not as busy. I also love that my house smells yummy by 4 pm.
But, I think what makes me truly heart crocker dinners is that it does not heat up my house. {My house has a tendency to heat up during the day--curse you east/west exposure}--and by dinnertime I DO NOT want to add another 350 degree oven into the mix}.
Here's my "Cowboy Casserole" recipe from yesterday.
Cowboy Casserole
But, I think what makes me truly heart crocker dinners is that it does not heat up my house. {My house has a tendency to heat up during the day--
Here's my "Cowboy Casserole" recipe from yesterday.
Cowboy Casserole
(5 out of 5 Hansen's heart this recipe)
1 onion, diced
1 lb ground beef, browned and drained (it called for 1 1/2 lbs--but I went with what I had)
6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can of kidney beans (any beans will do--I used chili--cause it is what I had--walmart brand in the canned pinto bean section-green can)
15 oz can diced tomatoes mixed with 2 tbsp flour--next time I'm using a jar of salsa
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1. Layer onions, ground beef, potatoes,
1 onion, diced
1 lb ground beef, browned and drained (it called for 1 1/2 lbs--but I went with what I had)
6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can of kidney beans (any beans will do--I used chili--cause it is what I had--walmart brand in the canned pinto bean section-green can)
15 oz can diced tomatoes mixed with 2 tbsp flour--next time I'm using a jar of salsa
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1. Layer onions, ground beef, potatoes,
garlic and beans in crocker.
2. Spread tomatoes/salsa over all. Sprinkle
2. Spread tomatoes/salsa over all. Sprinkle
with salt and pepper.
3. Cover. Cook on low 5-6 hours or
3. Cover. Cook on low 5-6 hours or
until potatoes are tender.
{I served it on a tostada shell--which may be weird because of the potatoes-but I wanted a little crunch. Sprinkle cheese on top--serve with a side of corn and some fruit--and you've got yourself a great meal for your little cowpokes. hehe}
So, crock a meal today!
2 comments:
That cookbook sounds great. I'm with you sista, I try to avoid using the oven these days as well. Yesterday I was supposed to take a dessert to dinner at a friends. I planned brownies but couldn't bring myself to heat the oven. I opted for rice krispy treats instead. Thanks for the recipes complete with alterations. Did you ever decide why DH loved the chicken and you and Aussie thought it was so weird?
Love your crockin recipe's I am going to try them! You think it is hot with your oven, it feels like an oven all the time here!! I am always lookin for some good crock recipes! Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment