Thursday, July 17, 2008

I Heart Good Deals

By nature, I am a cheapskate deal finder. I refuse to spend more for something if I know I can get it cheaper somewhere else. With higher gas prices and food prices, it has made it difficult to find many good deals. So, I decided to get creative with my shopping.

My sis-in-law is a professional coupon clipper--her grocery bill (for a family of 4) is around $250 a month much, much, MUCH less then what I spend. We visited her family over Memorial Day weekend--and she gave me some tips on how to shop the deals.

One of the tips was this website http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/index.php --{which I totally heart} the people who run this website are hardcore couponers. {It took me a month just to figure out what their lingo meant.}

Being the newbie that I am, I pretty much stick with the hotcouponworld "Swinging Deals" section--focusing mostly on the grocery stores. It basically matches up your coupons to what is on sale in the ads.

A couple of weeks ago, I found this deal on their website: I was able to purchase at my local Albertson's; 5 jars of planters peanuts, 3 bags of marshmallows & 2 boxes of cereal--for around $9 {after coupons}. After my purchase--the cashier handed me a receipt with $8 off my next purchase--which I used on diet coke the next time I was there.

According to my sis-in-law, the key to couponing is to buy the random deals when you can get it--so you have it for later. I would not normally by 5 jars of peanuts and 3 bags of marshmallows--but I figured I'd just stick the 5 jars of peanuts in my food storage--and call it protein. Then my nutty kids found the nuts -- and are in the process of inhaling them daily. Who knew?

I've found a couple of more deal finding websites to heart--one of them is pretty localized to the state of UT. I heart the Grocery Guru http://www.utahcityguide.com/new/guru/index.asp. This dude plans out a weeks menu according to ONE store's ad. Pretty sweet.

The other website I heart is http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/. {Just click on your home state to find what deals are in your area.}

I totally heart good deals {and I'm learning to heart couponing}.

So, what good deals have you found lately?

2 comments:

Jolene said...

You know I love the deal/bargain myself!

The best bargain I have gotten lately was new cushions for my outdoor furniture on 75% off clearance at Target! Less than $5 for each one. I love the clearance deals at Target - I got the girls some t-shirts in the Juniors department last week for $1.48!

Pam said...

Deals , deals, love me some deals. I always save the coupons but forget to take them and use them at the store. I have got to get better at it because I know it can be a huge $ saver. Even the richies I know use coupons - hmmm maybe that is why they are rich. I gotta try it. Thanks for the websites.