Thursday, July 24, 2008

I Heart July 24th!


Living in Utah, the 24th of July means one thing--celebration. It's the anniversary of when Mormon pioneers first arrived into the Salt Lake Valley. It's the day we rejoice in our pioneer heritage.

I heart everything about the 24th...the parades (including the small little bike parade we went to in our neighborhood--Savvy and Aussie were decked out like there was no tomorrow)...

...the fireworks (we're heading over to my sissies around 830 tonight to watch my bro-in-law's Costco inspired delight)...

...the part-ay (me & the kids, mom, dad, Ange and his cute fiancee had a little impromptu party today with pizza and rootbeer floats -- in honor of my Bro Z--who ran his first marathon--unfortunately, the guest of honor wasn't able to attend his own soiree as he was sufferin' from some fierce marathon aftermath)...

Yes, I am one of those heathen Mormons who hearts all of the fluff that surrounds pioneer day--but judge me not because I also heart the stuff behind the celebration...

...I heart the pioneers who walked and walked and walked as they faithfully trekked those many miles to follow the Lord's counsel...

...the pioneers who lost loved ones in the process...

...the pioneers who sacrificed their earthly belongings because they simply believed in the true gospel of Jesus Christ...

...and the pioneers who through righteous desires helped build up the kingdom of God.

Click HERE to read my favorite pioneer story.
Happy Pioneer Day!

5 comments:

Jolene said...

It's kind of sad living in AZ now and no one really celebrates. We had bunko last night and one of the ladies said Happy Pioneer Day ladies and I got all sad for a minute. When I was a kid, back in the day, there was a parade in down town Mesa on the 24th but they don't do that anymore. We thought about having a bike parade or something this year but that is hard to do when it is 110 degrees out. I'm glad you had fun! I hope you sang as you walked and walked and walked.

Amy said...

I heart your post about pioneer day! Living in Idaho I can tell you I didn't give it a second thought yesterday - that's so sad! So thanks for the great pioneer reminder!

Mike said...

(Actually, Mike's Wife Amy says...)Hey, Nicole! My singing roommate who had mastered not only the enviable broadway belt, but also clever and witty sayings despite her uninspiring surroundings in the dismal Continental Round House (actually a KOA disgused as civilization) in 1991 in Logan! How are you? Ms. Melanie led me to your fabulous blog... love it! When you get bored, come join the rest of us old ladies on Facebook!

Heather said...

Yes, thanks for the reminder! We need to go visit UT for the 24th sometime. Our fam does some fun stuff up there. I wished I had done a pioneer sharing time??

Pam said...

We completely forgot it was Pioneer day til the next day. How could that happen? That was the biggest day in my home town growing up. A parade with candy, a rodeo and a dance. The best day ever. The population of my hometown tripled on that one day. So sad I forgot to celebrate it.
I'm glad you had such a great day though. Fireworks and all. Thanks sweet pioneers I heart you too.