Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Lion and A Lamb

Last night, I went to book club. Our book for the month was called "A Lion and Lamb." It was such a good book. I loved it. It was a quick and easy read, yet it had such great messages of service, love and missionary work.

It's about the LDS church in the early 1900's. The Mormon's had been driven out of Palmyra, New York years before this--but the sentiment of the New Yorkers was still anti-Mormon. So, church leaders called Willard and Rebecca Bean to be missionaries (for 5 years) and live in Joseph Smith's old house.

Well, 5 years turned into 25 years and the trials and historical events that this couple lived through was so amazing to me. When the Bean's first move to Palmyra--they are chased off with a gun. But, after 25 years, when the church finally releases them from their mission--the entire community is sad and throws a big party for them--they had become loved and valued members of the area.

As a bonus, the gal that hosted our book club had her husband stoke the fire pit in the backyard -- so we went out to our own personal grove of trees and roasted marshmallows and made s'mores. It was lots of fun sitting around the campfire--visiting, laughing--oh and the s'mores were delish. A good night was had by all.

{Next month, I host book club at my house--so I get to pick the book (I was actually supposed to tell them what it was last night--but I couldn't decide!). I'm struggling! I want to pick something light and fluffy that I would enjoy reading but the last time I did that I was the only one who liked the book (Austenland). When it was my turn the second time, I let someone else pick the book (and did not enjoy it--can't even remember the title to be quite honest). So here I am faced with the quandary of picking a book for women ages 36 (I'm the baby) to over 60 (which makes up half of our book club).
Any Suggestions? Ideas?}

3 comments:

Aloicoius said...

I don't read a whole lot of books that would be good for a church book club. Although my wards' book club did read The Time Travelers Wife but there were some complaints that it was too racy. That was enough to keep me away. Not that I don't read "racy" books (I actually own The Time Travelers Wife and LOVE it) and it's not that I am against reading LDS literature, I just haven't found many that have peaked my interest.

But I have read a few of The Work and the Glory series and enjoyed them. I guess I lost interest because there were too many story lines and it just kept going on and on (much like Harry Potter but with less magic and that's a definite down-side). jk

I guess it's just a fine line and everyone has a different opinion of what is and isn't appropriate.

So sorry my comment is so un-helpful but I guess you should feel lucky that you get to choose a book that you'd like to read! Woo hoo!

Anonymous said...

The Giver by Lois Lowry- have you done it yet? It's a quick, easy, very interesting read. It's got things to talk about in a discussion as well. It's really available in libraries, etc. and appeals to all ages I think. It's not super "fun" but it's good, it gives a lot to think about and is fairly short.

Pam said...

I read the same books you do but less of them so I haven't got anything new or exciting for you either. Sorry! I'm sure it will be a great night though because you always throw a fab party.