Dear Diary:
Went to Cub Scout Day Camp with Aussie and 11 other 8 & 9 year old boys today. It was a good time. I liked it better than last year--the theme was a kick--Superheroes. Best of all, there were only a few shenanigans to speak of.
Shenanigan #1--Missed out on doing the ever-important head count BEFORE we left the church. The gal I was carpooling with (forgot to bring her cell phone) -- pulled alongside me ON THE FREEWAY at 65 mph -- during rush hour -- and yelled through open windows. "Do you have *Eddie?
Quickly checking my boys, I yelled back, "No!"
"AHHH!" we both yelled.
I made a frantic phone call to one my girlfriends and asked if she had seen said *Eddie. She had seen him at the church.
I thought about it and remembered seeing *Eddie climbing trees in the church parking lot. As I pictured our lost cub scout crying in a tree--the boys in the back seat said that they saw Eddie get in my carpooling companion's (CC) vehicle. So, I pulled up alongside CC--and at the same time we both yelled--
Me: "You've got him in your car!"
CC: "I've got him in my car!"
Whew. That was a close one. Thank goodness the only witness were the 12 cub scouts--and who's going to believe what they say anyway?
Shenanigan #2-- Gotta love that canyon dirt. It provided better coverage than the sunblock our scout moms so fastidiously applied to their young. Of course, I remembered the dirt from last year--so I opted out on the sunblock and went straight for the dirt block. "Aussie! Stop! Drop! and Roll!" I yelled. He complied along with 11 other freshly oiled boys.
Shenanigan #3--They turned me loose with a BB gun. We had two fun Boy Scouts leading our group around the day camp. One of our rotations was a BB gun shooting range. Secretly, in my head, I wanted to shoot the guns. But, I tried to play it cool. Then, during the last rotation of boys there were two spots open--and our Boy Scouts asked if me and CC wanted to have a turn on the range! I locked, loaded, and pumped that gun like there was no tomorrow. {I only shot 6 out of 11 targets--don't tell my brothers!} But, it was the most fun I had all day. {And when our boy scouts said--time to put the guns down--I pretended I didn't hear and shot off another round. Aren't I a good example to our scouts?}
Shenanigan #4--Flies like me. With my new do, I have to use this stuff called hair wax. Who knew that flies would think my hair was honey--and get stuck in it a couple of times. NASTY!
Shenanigan #5--Cub scouts lose things. Note to self: next year tell parents not to send hats with their boys. Only 4 boys out of our 12 wore hats (mine was one of them--but he never lost his)--and I think I retrieved the same 3 hats at least 10 times each!
Shenanigan #6--Port-a-potties at scout camp. Do they ever empty them? Oh man! They were soooo bad that even the scouts didn't want to use them--and what do they know about sanitary conditions--they were covered in an inch of dirt? One of our scouts said to me, "I need to use the bathroom." I offered to walk him up to the portapoopies. He said, "No, those are gross. Can I just go in those trees?" We informed him that if every boy went in the trees then the trees would smell like the portapoopies. He opted to hold it for 2 hours (as did the rest of us). P.S. To the pregnant scout leader of troop 201--you are a brave and courageous woman. Every time I took a scout to the nasty portapoopies--there you were--exiting the nasty place--with a horrified look on your face. You my sista have earned a place in the celestial kingdom.
Shenanigan #7--Cub Scouts need a pack mule--and I'm a good one. At each station our scouts would get something to take home with them--a homemade map of their neighborhood, their fingerprint, an emergency number list, etc. As we walked away from each station, they'd hand them to me to carry (CC was smart and said no to the first request). By the end of the day, I was wishing I was a mama kangaroo with a pouch to put everything in.
Shenanigan #8--A twenty minute ride to the scout camp will turn into an hour long ride home if there is an accident on the freeway. Plan for a marathon game of I-Spy--and be sure to have extra snacks in the car.
As you can see dear diary, a good time was had by all. (and it only took 2 showers to get the dirt off of me and 3 showers for Aussie).
Sincerely,
One Sassy Mama
*names have been changed to protect the innocent...
...well mostly me
4 comments:
The story about Eddie is the funniest thing ever! I can totally visualize an entire converation between cars on the freeway about a lost scout!
You are a brave woman and a good mom. In my PP days I went to my share of day camps, but I think if they asked me now I would be pulling all kinds of excuses out of my hat!
O.K. so is my cub scout Eddie? Could have easily been! Dawson thought camp was the best and thought you were very cool! He made me promise that I would come with him next year - so you better come too so you can show me how to do it since you are now a pro at it. Thanks for going. Love Ya.
Mary--no Dawson is not Eddie--if you bring me a DC I'll tell you who it was --hehe.
By the way, Dawson was hilar--he totally cracked me up the whole time--oh -- he was one of the hat losers though. No hat next year Mary.
Yes! Come to scout camp next year! I promise I like it--they even sell caffeinated diet coke in the camp store for only 75 cents (although I packed my own just in case).
Post a Comment