Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Workin' 9 to 5

I started work last week at my kids' school as a teaching assistant. The kids don't actually start till next week..but last week was "new teacher training" and this week is just general teacher training/motivation etc.

I will admit, last week wasn't too bad. It was just two days of 8-12ish (which is what my schedule will be when school start with the kids. Plus, an added bonus--I actually get to work in my twins' class!).

This week? Killer! Today I was at the school from 8am--4 pm. Are you kidding me? I don't have the attention span for a day that long! I think I may be suffering from adult onset ADD.

I struggled. No phone calls. No blogging. No reading of books. And no {GASP} drinking of diet coke--as this appears to be a dry campus. Nary a pop machine was in sight!

The horror!

Of course, I didn't get home till 5 because I had to a) drop off DVD's that were due today {and late fees on the DVD's aren't something you want to mess with} and then b) stop at McDonalds for a 99 cent diet coke delight.

Yes. It's true. Diet Coke came before my family. According to Vern (of drug free schools) this is a true sign of an addiction.

Then, I got home and realized that my fairy godmother was off tonight and not available for cooking dinner. So, I headed to Big Daddy pizza and picked up a few pies.

As I walked in the door, I was greeted by my DH, El Jefe. It was a strange feeling.

El Jefe:
How was work today?

SassyMama:
I don't see how anyone in their right mind would ever want to work an 8 hour day. It was the hardest day of my life. First, I sat through hours of meetings and motivational crap...and now I am home and I still need to clean house, do laundry, make dinner (Big Daddy Pizza--you are my friend), and entertain the children. I mean, who would ever sign up for this?


El Jefe:
What would happen if I said that?

SassyMama: You're the breadwinner. Besides, you're totally used to it. I am just not cut out for this kind of slave labor. 8-4? That was terrible!


El Jefe: You have days like that all the time with your Relief Society calling.

Crickets chirping.

SassyMama:
Yes, but at least I'm getting blessings for that.

Here's a shout out to all you working mamas: You my sistas deserve an award!

7 comments:

Leslie said...

I saw you coming home down 3rd and thought that you had probably stopped at McD's. Sonic happy hour is great plus it is the good ice. You should get use to that. But now that you are a working woman I don't know. We might need to figure something out. Good luck working hey I don't mind it.

Anonymous said...

AMEN SISTA!!!!

Jolene said...

I have always wondered how working women do it. I think it might be time for El Jefe to get you a senorita.

Heather said...

Workin' moms are NON-STOP, I can't imagine!! I would like to get on with our school next year. Half a day or a few days a week would work for me. None of the 8-5 stuff!!
btw - Kathy Flower's says HI!!!

Beeswax said...

Hahahaha. That was me, laughing at your dry campus joke.

Hahahaha. That was me, laughing at Jolene's senorita joke.

Anonymous said...

You go workin' girl! 8 hrs. does seem a bit extreme, but lucky you that's not the norm. I say you earned that Diet Coke and you desereved it! Good luck with the new job.

Pam said...

8 to 5 on your first introduction back into the work field....that is brutal, and with no DC to be found? What are you working at the Prison??? teehee
It would seem that the fast food industry just added another greatful woman to their overburdened customer list - cha ching. :)
I love your blessings comment though - El Jefe is right about our callings being our full time job. Although I think it is much more than that cause I keep waiting for my shift to actually end.