Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Everything I Ever Needed to Know, I Learned in the Fourth Grade

What I learned during my first week of school as a 4th grade teacher's aide...

4th Grade math is harder than it looks...memo to self: brush up on some fractioning, geometric shapes, prime numbers..it's a lengthy list.

8 am to 12:30 pm is a long time to go without eating...I'm going to call it my "Back to School Diet" (the only problem with my new diet is I'm so hungry by the time I get home that I make up for lost time between the hours of 1-10pm).

Lunch ladies {still} scare me..now there are some tough gals...especially if you forget to follow procedure--or lose 13 lunchboxes.

Some parents think they are above carpool rules {perhaps I should put myself in their shoes...I'm sure that if I drove a big honkin' SUV I'd probably feel like I could park in the carpool lane for undetermined amounts of time whenever I felt like it too.}

At morning drop off, I am so jealous of the mom's still in their PJ's...that was me last year ladies.

At afternoon pick up, I am so jealous of the mom's still in their PJ's...that was {sometimes} me last year ladies.

Power be to the whistle-blower...especially if you accidentally blow it before recess is over...man, the kids are like Pavlov's dog--when they hear the whistle they come a runnin'.

To avoid potential migraines, smuggle in a can of diet coke into my little office--hide it on the bookshelf--and sneak sips as needed.


Sneaking sips of diet coke as needed may result in excessive potty breaks...and if you're going more often than the kids...people are going to talk
{i.e. your daughter:
"Gee mom, you sure go to the bathroom a lot."}.

Working all morning, creates a to-do list the size of Texas. What a quandary! Do I---catch up on google-reader, drink diet coke, blog, clean house, drink diet coke, talk on the phone, do laundry, go grocery shopping, read a book, work on RS handouts/posters, run errands? It is a shenanigan to fit it all in.

I have gotta get out of motherbear mode...whenever I see a kid get in trouble by a teacher..I get little tearies in my eyes unless they are really rotten--and I want but, I refrain to go give them a hug, tell them it's okay, and to try to do better.

So, what have you learned new this school year?

4 comments:

Pam said...

I haven't learned nearly as much as you but what I have learned is that my kids still come to me at the absolute last minute asking me for help with their homework. UGH! Does this ever go away!!!!

Glad you are learning so much in school. I especially love the part about you sneaking DC in. Always the trouble maker huh? :) Maybe that's why you get teary eyed you know how those little kids must feel ;) hehe

Pam said...

OK smarty pants how do you get those blog updates on your page? I want some of that!

Mary said...

I learned that I may not be smarter than a 6th grader - it's the first of the school year and I can not figure out Ry's math -Yikes

And sneaking DC - definately a necessity if your suppose to be helpful in any way!

P.S. I still want you to quit - but it is for my own selfish reasons!

Anonymous said...

I've learned to actually tell time. I thought I knew this already, but no, I didn't. I realized this when I showed up an hr. early to pick up Josh yesterday! And I had walked the 20 min. there to pick him up. So...that makes a total of 40 minutes lost roundtrip. At least I can add...