Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Sunday Not-So Funnies

I like to cook. I'm not a fancy chef--but give me a recipe and I can hold my own. I know my limits. I do not make homemade spaghetti sauce, but I do sass my jarred sauce up a bit with seasonings and such {and the family thinks I'm a chef extraordinaire--I manage to throw away the jars before they see where my secret sauce truly comes from}.

I have some tried and true recipes that I love to make--and know they will always turn out. One of those recipes is a French Toast Souffle {it's really a casserole-but I fancied the name up for the kids}. I got this recipe out of my famous Santa Rita ward cookbook in Arizona--it really has some great recipes in it. The French Toast Souffle is delish! My family loves it!

So, when my sis asked what she should have for her baby blessing brunch today--I suggested French Toast Souffle. There was to be a large crowd--so I was to make 2 pans, Jilly was making 2 pans and her sis-in-law was making one pan.

This recipe, required a little bit of preparation the night before--check.

This recipe, required an early riser in the chef--check.

This recipe, required being out of the fridge 1/2 hour before cooking--check.

This recipe required cinnamon, sugar, and butter to be added on top just BEFORE cooking--ERRR NOT CHECK.

I put the souffle into bake at 715 am. When I retrieved it at 810 am--I lovingly took off the tinfoil to look at how nice and puffy it was. At that point, I realized my mistake! Without the cin/sug/butter combo--I had made a very fluffy--but bready-egg-casserole.

I felt like such a loser.
How could I have forgotten this crucial step? Well, I have the recipe memorized -- except for that one part where you sprinkle the yummies on top and bake.
{Curse you, lousy memory!}

With no other options, I grabbed the casseroles, the cinnamon, sugar and stick of butter--and headed to the blessing. The blessing was wonderful--Coach (my bro gave him the nickname), is such a doll.

I ducked out of sacrament meeting early to head to my sissies and fix my dire mistake. I added the necessary ingredients and proceeded to re-bake it. It came out kinda crusty--but luckily it still tasted good.

Moral of the story: Always Consult the Recipe or offer to bring the muffins and juice next time

French Toast Souffle

1 (10oz.) loaf French bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
4 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
8 eggs
3/4 tsp. salt
3 c. milk

Topping:

2 Tbsp. butter or margarine, cubed
3 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
Place bread cubes in a greased 9x13 inch baking dish. In a bowl, mix beaten eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt. Pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Dot with butter. Combine the sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over the top. Cover and bake at 350 for 45 to 50 minutes or until a knife comes out clean after a center insert. Let stand for about 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with warm syrup and fruit.

3 comments:

Jolene said...

This is a favorite at my house too! We like it with warm buttermilk syrup. If I make it, my family thinks it is a special occasion! You are right about the Santa Rita cook book - there are some goodies in there!

Pam said...

Yum that sounds good right now. I guess I should try to impress my family like you do and make something yummy. The recipes that have mutiple step are intimidating to me though because I am usually the one to forget a step. Glad your dish turned out after all. I bet everyone loved it.

Pam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.