Thursday, October 16, 2008

Fall Break: Productive, Perplexing, Painful

Sigh.


Fall Break.


Just thinking about it has filled me with joy this year. Not to be rude, but I believe this is the first time in the history of my kids being in school-that I have actually looked forward to them {and me} being out of school--except for that one time we headed to San Diego for fall break--now that was a good time.



I have made some big plans for Fall Break. It does not involve a fancy vacation. It does not involve taking my kids on a grand adventure. It doesn't even involve spending a lot of money. All I want for my festive fall break, is a whole lot of deep cleaning--and maybe a little fun on the side.


We kicked it off last night with my sis and her family.

Taco Soup

+Homemade Carmel apples

+Kids

+Charlie Brown

=A pretty good time

note to self: next year get mom's famous Carmel apple recipe before making them--then you will avoid the issues of Carmel peeling off the apples



Productive


This morning, we cleaned and cleaned our little hearts out. It was great. I can't remember ever being this excited to clean house. The slaves pitched in and we got quite a bit done. A very productive morning indeed.


Of course, since I was beautifying my home..it didn't leave much time for beautifying myself. I did take a shower this morning. But, I got distracted with a couple of chores, and before I knew it my hair had dried all crazy-like.


"Not to worry," I thought to myself. "There will be plenty of time for doing my hair."


Perplexing


Just as I was heading into do my hair.


The doorbell rang.


At 2:30 in the afternoon.


And it was a friend of a friend of mine who was dropping money off so she could do a few crafties at our Fab Fri next week. We had never met before, and I was mortified. My hair was slicked down to the sides of my head. Glasses. No makeup. I was wearing a holey shirt. Oh and sorry grandpa--skip this next sentence if you are reading this Bra? NOPE.


Then, of course, my new BFF came in and wanted to see the crafts. And boy howdy, did she just love my clock wall. And where did I get that cool old door? Good grief. I was so freaked out about my appearance I could barely converse.


Finally, I said, "Listen. I am mortified that my hair is not done, I'm in holey clothes, No makeup. I am not at my best. But--have you noticed how clean my house is?"


She mentioned how nice it was to see that other people don't get ready for the day until noon--cause she has days like that too. I hated to bring up the fact that it was after noon. So I kept my mouth shut.


Painful


This morning, before the clean fest, I promised my slaves that we would go to the movie if they were good workers.


I called my sissy Jill, my sis-in-law Ali, and we all met at the dollar theater to watch "Space Chimps."


I hadn't heard much about it before.


That should've been my first clue that it might be lame.


Second Clue?


Opening credits of the movie.


Did I mention--Painful?


Okay. Okay. So there were a few funny parts. But the lameness by far outweighed the humor.



There were so many mini-plots--it was a joke. It was like the writers couldn't make up their mind on what they wanted the movie to be about--so it was about nothing.--and not a Jerry Seinfeld show about nothing either.

At one point, I leaned over to my sister and said, "This sounds like something Jay and her friends would write." To which Jilly answered, "Hey, isn't that being kinda rude to Jay and her friends?"


As a bonus, the kids liked it except for Jay--who, by the way, was highly offended that I inplied that her and her friends would ever produce such lousy cinema.


Another bonus? It was at the dollar movies--so it wasn't like we spent bunches of money on a doozy of a show.

Tomorrow's To-Do List?

more deep cleaning {don't tell the kids}

hair cut and colored--early so my hair will be done early too

Shop for some Halloween costumes--Savvy wants me to make her a bumblebee costume well actually she wanted to be a devil--and I said--no devils for you sista--and so then she said--well how bout' a bumble bee instead--talk about polar opposites and Aussie needs a mummy costume.

Read.

Relax.

Sew.

Drink some DC.

Good Times.

So, what are you

doing for fall break?

3 comments:

Mary said...

You have such good little slaves - mine seem to have gone on stike lately. But tomorrow morning I have big plans for them to get the basement cleaned and the yard cleaned up. I'm sure it will cost me something to get the slaves to work, I think it won't be Space Chimps though - thanks for the info.

Pam said...

Aww Fall break ours ended Wednesday and boy was I ever ready for those kids to go back to school. After the first few days of slaving they wouldn't do anymore of that and then when the play days were done "major boredom" invaded my every minute. It got to be quite painful.
You are a fun mom though so I'm sure that won't happen.
You know people always show up or you meet them at the store when we aren't at our beautiful best. That is just fact. Right now I am sitting in my PJ's and I know the doorbell will ring any minute...now I'm self concious better go change:)

Jolene said...

For my fall break - I came to see you. It was magical. The mall and the Diet Coke - what more can a friend ask for?