Monday, October 6, 2008

New Recipes 101...

When trying out a new recipe...
...save it for a day when your in-laws aren't visiting.

When trying out a new recipe...
...be sure to follow the directions carefully--and use the correct ingredients.

When trying out a new recipe...
...if it calls for Pepperidge Farms seasoned bread crumbs--do not assume that it will be fine to substitute Seasoned Ranch Dressing.

When trying out a new recipe...
...no matter how good it looks and smells--the taste is much more important.

When trying out a new recipe...
...understand that when El Jefe stops at just one serving...it ain't a good sign.

When trying out a new recipe...
...realize that when your father-in-law takes a third serving--at the insistance of his wife--it is only because he thinks you might cry far be it from anyone in my own immediate family to care about my emotional well-being--and for the record I did NOT shed one salty tear.

When trying out a new recipe...
...if it tastes nasty and is beyond inedible--and you make the comment, "I think this is the worst thing I've ever made." Do not be offended when a chorus of, "No, you've made worse," is shouted at the top of their lungs.

So, what's the worst thing you've ever made? Or if you are the perfect chef--what's the best thing
you've ever made?

4 comments:

Jolene said...

I'm not saying that I am a perfect chef but the worst dinner ever - I did not make. It came from my food group and was a ham, cheese, broccoli and rice crock pot dinner. I had to be somewhere that night so I put it all together. When I left in the late afternoon it looked and tasted pretty good. I guess 2 or 3 hours later when everyone ate - it was gross. Alan told the kids that if they each took two bites he would take them to Wendy's for a Frosty.

Mary said...

Love this story - I've made plenty of bad stuff - but usually I try everything out on my family before cooking it for anyone else - However, once I tried a new recipe for lemon chicken out on my dinner group - 2 of the 4 families quit the next day! and Leon asked me to NEVER make that again. Not a pleasant memory

Anonymous said...

I tried to make these lemmon glazed mini cakes once for a baby shower. They were raw in the middle, sunken on the top and I couldn't get them out of the pan. They sucked and cleaning the pan was even worse.

Pam said...

I don't often cook from scratch so it makes it easier to not mess things up. I also don't usually try new recipes unless good sources have told me it is divine. If you can't tell cooking is not my favorite thing so if I do have to spend time doing it I make what I know. Pretty lame huh? Luckily for my kids their Dad is a great cook.