Thursday, June 14, 2007

To read or not to read....

So book clubs are a huge hit in my neighborhood. I mean almost everyone belongs to one whether it's their past ward, their girlfriends or the library. Well, I have never been in one - and when our ward started one up - I decided to partake.

The first book we read was, "These is my Words." I have to admit it was painful for me to get through. I think it was like page 100 before I was finally into it. Even after I was into it - I still struggled. It's written in diary form - and it just wasn't reaching out and grabbing me. As a matter of fact, I fell asleep the first five times I started to read it - this included once in the daytime.

When I was only on page twelve by day five, I was seriously reconsidering the book club (at least for this month). Then I ran into the gal who had started it up - and had picked the book. She said she hoped I was coming to book club - because she didn't think anyone else she had invited could make it. Inside I was groaning, but I told her of course I would be there - and then hoped like a dirty dog that there were cliff notes (there's not by the way).
Reading this book was like a chore to me! It was on my to-do list - and believe me it ranked right up there with cleaning boy toilets. But I did finally finish the book. The crazy thing is I love to read and can usually read a 350 page book in a couple of days. But, this took me almost 2 weeks.

Tuesday was book club night. Surprisingly enough, there were 5 of us in attendance (although only 3 of us had actually read the book - when I found that out I wanted to yell - "you mean not reading the book was an option?" who knew). We discussed the book - and I did tell them it took me awhile to get into it. Thank goodness nobody asked if I actually liked it. Although someone did ask what my favorite part was - I almost said - it was the end.
The night was coming to a close, and the girl in charge says what book should we read next? We all sit there not wanting to step on toes. She finally says - well did you know there is a sequel to "These is My Words?" It's called "Sarah's Quilt". I promise I heard screaming inside my head.

Luckily, (at least I thought at the time) another lady - who hadn't read the book (and was all the wiser for it) - suggested some books. I promise you every single one of them is deeper than the day is long. Not one was fluffy. Not one was light reading. Not one was a chick flick type book. I think they were all based in a third-world country - not that there's anything wrong with that -but c'mon it's summer - and let's face it I'm not a deep person.
We settled on a non-fiction book (which to be honest the only non-fiction things I read are the scriptures, the ensign and the children's friend). Anyway the book is called, "Three cups of Tea" It's an inspiring story about a mountain climber living on the edge - who changes his ways and makes a difference by building schools in India. I am betting there are no cliff notes on this one.
When I told my DH the title of the next book, he laughed and said "Honey - this book club isn't for you - these aren't the kind of books you are even interested in." I wasn't sure if I should be insulted & thank him for pointing out my weaknesses - or be glad for an excuse to quit the group.

So what's a fluffy, shallow girl supposed to do? Well, I decided to give it another month. I put the book on hold at the library - and I am going to read it. Then next month I am bringing my list of trashy romance novels and those deep women are going to suffer through it like I have suffered through their books. Just kidding - but I really am going to bring a list of options for next month (don't worry - it won't be dicey romance novels) - and hopefully nobody figures me out for the shallow reader that I am.

4 comments:

Jolene said...

You know you and I are on the same reading schedule. But our ward book club did Twilight (You can buy it at Deseret Book!) and this month they are doing Harry Potter #6. I guess us Arizona mormons are not as intellectual as you Utah mormons! Or suggest something by Beverly Lewis - I love her books about the Amish.

jmemmott said...

Ummmmm....I don't mean to "easily offended" or anything, but this your 3rd blog and you have made no mention of one the greatest inspirations in your life.....ME! Just kiddin'. This is a little difficult to read though, cause I have a feeling I'll have already heard your "shenanigans" before they hit the blog!hehe love ya'!

One Sassy Mama said...

Jill-I am going to have to stop telling you all my stories. Rob will be glad for that - hehe. By the way - I have I told you lately what a great inspiration you are to me? If someone were to write a book about you - I'd read it - even if it were deep.
nic

One Sassy Mama said...

Jo - I just finished reading New Moon last night - it was soo good! I totally wanted my book club to be the harrypotter, twilight kind of book club. But we have 2 older ladies who are xtra smart. Plus a 40 yr old learned lady (who intimidates the heck out of me by the way). And then me and the girl who started the group. The girl who started the group reads everything under the sun - she has read twilight and new moon - so I thought this was going to be a mix of fun books. But the smarty pants ladies are ruining it for this dumb bunny.
Nic