Yesterday, just after Sunday dinner, our doorbell rang. I answered it. A rough teenage girl, barefoot and in her pajamas - with many piercings in her face - stood on my front porch. She said she was new to the area - had just moved here - and she was lost and wondered if she could use my phone. Hoping she wasn't here to case the joint, I said sure - and sent one of the kids to get it for her.
She called her friend asking him if he could come and pick her up. Then she said to me - "I don't know where I am - what's the address over here?" I told her the main crossroads of my neighborhood. She told the boy over the phone where she was and then hung up, said thanks and left. I shut the door and didn't pay attention to where she went - I just assumed she'd head over to the main crossroad and wait.
About five minutes later, my phone rang. It was a cell phone number I didn't recognize, but I figured it was the boy looking for the teenage girl so I answered it. I was right - he asked for "Taylor". I told them that she had left to where I assumed she told them to meet her. He told me she hadn't specified a meeting place and that they were lost and asked for further instructions. I gave them better directions and hung up.
Within a few minutes, they called again. They were in front of my house and still couldn't find "Taylor". Man - I was hoping I wasn't in for a home invasion because these kids were rough characters too. They were in a beat up old SUV - but they seemed truly concerned about Taylor. I went out onto my front porch and talked to them - telling them maybe she went out the other side of the subdivision. It really was a puzzle. They took off in the direction I told them - and I never heard back from them.
I just dropped my kids off at school, and was reminded of "Taylor" and her plight as I turned into my subdivison. It's pretty cold outside - I hope they found her. I have the boy's cell phone number - so I could call - but I won't. I'm just curious - and I'll admit a little worried about this girl without shoes.
Thinking about Taylor this morning, makes me wish I would've done more. Or at least offered her some socks. It was around 5 in the evening - probably about 40 degrees outside - and she had no shoes and a light jacket on. Underneath her gothic makeup and piercings, she seemed nervous. Was she on drugs? A runaway? What kind of trouble was she in? Why did she choose my house? It wasn't like mine was the first house she came to in our subdvision. What was her story? Why do I care about someone I'll never see again?
I guess, I care because of my own future teenage daughters. I have good kids and I pray everyday that they will make good choices and be safe. But, if they are ever in a desparate situation -- I hope they will be able to find a mom who will help them, let them use her phone, and maybe offer them some socks.
2 comments:
I rarely think of the right thing to do or say (I'm not the queen of witty comebacks)at the time. Occasionally, the spirit will knock me in the head, and I hope those are the times it was really important.
Wouldn't it be nice if we could all help each other's kids, instead of being afraid of them (often with good reason)?
You answered the door - she might of knocked on other doors and when they saw her through the peep hole, ignored her. You answered the phone - I almost never answer a number I don't recognize. I'll bet that you smiling at her and helping her in the way she needed was more kindness than she had had in a while. But my feet are cold just thinking about it. Is it really only 40 degrees at dinner time there? We are still suffering the blasted heat!
Post a Comment