When I lived in AZ, me and a few of my close girlfriends got together every Thursday to do projects. It varied between crafts, scrapbooking, shopping or just going to lunch. Right before I moved, my garage was a disaster -- the girls offered to help me. So, one lovely spring Thursday, we got together and cleaned out my disaster area - for many hours. It was truly a labor of love. This didn't happen every week - but periodically we got together and served each other - we cleaned out someones closet, folded a basket of socks or decorated a room, etc. Whether we were doing big projects or just little things--the friends serving friends idea was a hit. Those magical times came to a close when I moved. Curses!
Since I've moved, I've searched for friends who could be so near and dear to my heart that I would dare share a messy garage with. Many have been called but few have been chosen. My standards are high for this position. It has to be someone who will let me live my life and not judge me. Some of my new friends have come close - but they haven't been able to prove their undying love for me yet. I don't really have a test - it's a conglomerate of things and situations. Nothing specific really--although I'm sure it involves diet coke.
This afternoon, as I was hanging out with my sister at one of our favorite stores Rod Works, the thought occured to me that the search for a friend who was so near and dear to my heart that I'd let her see my messy garage - had been right under my nose since July! I realized that my sister could be that near and dear friend (I mean, good grief she lived with me for 2 months - what more of a sign did I need than that?) I reminded her of "Project Thursdays" that I had done with my AZ girlfriends - and suggested that we do that together. She loved the idea!
On Tuesday, she came over and helped me redecorate my kitchen and front room - so we are counting that as our first weekly project. She has visions of basement organizing and ironing a big laundry pile. While I'm planning on having her help me redo my craft room and maybe paint a wall in my family room. No matter what we do, it will be worthwhile - because not only do I get to hang out with my favorite sister, but we'll be being productive while we do it.
3 comments:
Those were the days. We were just as excited as you for your DH to see the clean garage. I know I wanted to be there to see his face. I am glad that you and J are going to do projects together. You know we had glorious plans of keeping the Thursday work-day in place but it just hasn't worked the same since you left. We were so productive back then - I am going to rally the girls to get it going again. If you can do it - so can we!
Jo - you have to get the project days going ASAP - even if it's just for the sake of getting your Christmas crafts done.
Good times
That is so tender that you and your sister can carry on our tradition. I am all for the project days here we just have to get on the ball and start them. Hansen you will be our inspiration.
Post a Comment