Saturday, January 19, 2008

Look What the Cat Dragged In


Santa brought our family a cat for Christmas this year. He is a cute little white kitten with blue eyes. Santa named him Elvis - he even left a note informing the kids of this (which is good because Savvy said she'd rather name him Snowball, Jay wanted to name him Edward and Aussie wanted to name him Meoweth). Needless to say, the kids were very excited, surprised, thrilled beyond belief!

Unfortunately, the mother wasn't so excited, surprised or thrilled beyond belief. Everyone knows I am not much of a pet lover - and especially not a cat lover. Everyone that is - except for my DH. Apparently, he thought I loved cats. Where he got this idea I'll never know.

But, quite honestly, my kids have wanted a pet for a very long time (and DH has been adamantly against having a pet). So, when he told me a couple of weeks before Christmas that he had been on the hunt for a kitten--I was actually excited for the kids. I decided then and there that I could make the ultimate sacrifice-- and become a reformed cat hater.

When I was growing up, we always had a few dogs. But, these weren't really pets you nurtured, cuddled with or even loved. They were more annoying than lovable--always jumping up on you with muddy feet and such. So, I suppose I do come by my dislike of pets honestly. Living in a small town, with brothers and a dad who prefered "hunting dogs" over any other kind of pet--didn't leave much room for fostering a love for kittens. That and the fact that my brothers used the cats for target practice - or a good dog chase - didn't help matters either.


Obviously, Elvis adores me (he's actually curled up at my feet sleeping as I type-I know--it's embarrassing). But seriously, cats can totally sense when a person is not a cat lover - then it spends the rest of its days making it up to you. I mean, I am in my basement and my feet are kinda cold - and here's cute Elvis asleep on my feet. Oh great - I'm going to become one of those people who constantly tell stories about their cats. I wonder if there's a support group I could join--FCHA (former cat haters anonymous)?

2 comments:

Jolene said...

It is hilarious that J wanted to name it Edward. That is so C to me - I kind of liked it better when Edward was my boyfriend alone not C and all of her teenage girlfriends!

I would maybe do a cat - they pretty much take care of themselves. But the kids keep trying to get us to try a dog again. And then I have to remind them of the last time... The poop, the chewed up shoes/books/dressers...

We have some sea monkeys... I think that is good enough for now.

jmemmott said...

O.k., seriously, I know you already know how I feel about your beloved pet. But, please don't share this w/anyone else. Let this blog just be between me and you. It could ruin your reputation!hahahahha