Our ward started up a book club in June. Since it began, it has been a sore spot with me. The books we have read aren't necessarily ones I would choose - and my suggestions have been pretty much ignored. I wanted to give it up early on - but decided to stick with it because when I joined the group I was hoping to broaden my horizons in reading (plus, my RSP informed me that as her 2nd counselor I was in charge of attending all special interest groups).
I have to admit -- it hasn't been a complete waste of time. We did read "The Book Thief" which I thoroughly enjoyed. I also liked "The Peacegiver" by James Ferrell. Of course, I loved "Austenland" by Shannon Hale (after all I was the one who begged for 3 months to read it - and when we finally did everyone else HATED it).
I know the problem stems from the varied backgrounds we all come from. We have three ladies over 60 who only want to read deep and learned books. The other three girls are more my age - but they don't seem to mind the deeper fair that we usually read. It seems that I'm the only one who isn't interested in reading a 700 page deep novel EVERY month. I'm willing to do it once in a while - but I feel like if I'm going to devote a bunch of time (every month) to a deep book that I have a difficult time understanding - it should probably be the scriptures.
My biggest issue is that I know book clubs are supposed to be fun. As a matter of fact, when I tell friends of mine what we're reading and how our turnout is at times very low (last week 3 came) -- they can't believe it because they adore their book groups. My other problem is I have had friends in my neighborhood and ward tell me they would love to join our book club if we were reading books that were a little bit more enjoyable. What can I say - I need this girls on my team! They could totally be my wingmen at book club. My lonely voice has remained unheard long enough!
Okay, so now that this post has turned into more of a rant than a civilized discussion of a book club driving me to the brink of insanity -- I'll get to my point. Next month, we are meeting to plan out our next 6 months of books. I want to be able to suggest books that would appeal to more than just the 4 or 5 of us currently in our book group. I mean, c'mon--we have about 75-80 ladies that could be coming (not that I want that or I'd have to start shopping at Costco for bulk treats and changing our location to the cultural hall at the church).
But seriously, what are some of your favorite books you have read that you've loved? (by the way I'll take any and all suggestions - even if the books are deep because if you liked it then maybe it won't be that bad. See - I'm broadening my horizons one deep book at a time).
5 comments:
I am loathe to recommend books sometimes. I don't want to be judged!
I recently read Digging to America by Anne Tyler - it was good - about two families who adopt daughters from China and they arrive on the same day. They meet at the airport and it follows them and their friendship for the next several years.
I have to pick the book in March for our Book Club and I am struggling. I am in the same boat as you - There are some oldies in our group and I don't think they appreciate some of the fine literature that love.
I'm w/ you Nic! I want to read for fun, so that it's enjoyable, not homework! I have some books that I have loved, but they are not any deeper than anything you're suggesting: Secret life of bees, anything by John Grisham, Finding Noel, the Sisterchick series- clean, fun, your group might like. Not deep, but fun and with a nice message. Good luck with it!
Oh, one other one that is good, and that can lead to some discussion is: The Giver by Lois Lowry. I'd recommend it for a book club for sure.
Allyson told me what a great blog you have so I had to check out - and the topic of a book club made me just have to post. Our ward had a book club that sounds just like yours - oldiies, and deep deep readers. We never had more than 5 people show up and they always wanted to read a 500+ book that was way over my head. After a few months with a miserable turnout it ended up dying. However, we did read one book that I really liked - it's called Letters for Emily - it's a quick fun read that I really liked (however, the deep ones in the group only tolerated it). Al's right though - you really should read The Giver - it's a fast read that has lots of layers so it's a please all book. Good luck picking a book - post which one you pick!
Amy Morris
I love your fancy new blog colors! Did it leave all of your side bar things on or did you have to get hooked up again? I'm trying to decide if I am brave enough to do it.
Post a Comment