Friday, March 14, 2008

Got Family?

Can I just say I've got a great family? Jay swam yesterday morning and qualified for the 50 butterfly in the state swim finals at BYU in the evening. She's ranked 16th in the state - and they were only taking the top 16 for the finals--so she had to at least swim her state qualifying time or better-- we were pretty excited. I sent out a little email telling my brother and his wife how great she had done. Then I called my sister, my mom and my other brother on the phone (because they were in town).

Immediately, my brother & sister in law emailed me back -- ready and willing to drive the 45 minute drive to watch her race. My other brother texted me and asked what time she was going to be swimming that evening cause he wanted to come. My mom was game for the swim meet too. Even my sweeeeeeet sister willingly (got stuck) tending my twins so I wouldn't have to herd them around campus.

Mind you this was all for a 30 second race.

Did I mention I've got a great family?

The meet started at 530 - but we weren't sure the exact time she would swim - so my mom and I were first on the scene at 530 (well DH and Jay were technically first on the scene for warm ups at 430). At 545, my cute brother and his posse (3 of his cute roomies/friends) arrived. Then my bro and his wife came around 6.

We waited and waited and watched and waited - until the magical hour of about 7 (I think) - when Jay had her 30 seconds of glory. She looked up at her adoring fans - and I kid you not - did a raise the roof sign with her hands - we all started cheering and whooping it up. It was hilarious.

The buzzer sounded - and she dove in - swimming her little heart out. We knew she wasn't going to take state - as there were 15 girls ranked above her. But she did improve her time - and ended up beating the girl ranked just ahead of her. It was great. We all cheered for her as she climbed out of the pool - and then my family who had taken 3-4 hours out of their day for a 30 second race - met at a Japanese steak house, visited, ate some mighty fine vittles and then headed home.

So family - as the old Bartles and James commercials used to say, "Thank you for your support."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! Good for Jay, and for your family-it's nice you live so close (sort of) and that you make the most of it.

Jolene said...

I am so impressed with J for her skills! All of those practices paid off. I'll bet her sports fanatic dad was about to bust with pride! Let him keep the swimming events on tivo and ancient video tape - but let that be a new rule. Only sports that someone in the family is training for can be kept for more than a week!

Aloicoius said...

Yeah, we are pretty great... Actually, I think Jill gets the award for most awesome sister. Not only did she not get to see the race but she volunteered to babysit!

PS. Did any of the pictures of our crazy chef turn out good? If so, can you email them to me? I feel a scrap commin on...